• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Zwift, who is on it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by norbs, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

I know it is an old thread, but "winter is coming"
    [​IMG]
    I found another few sites Kinomap, ErgVideo and Bkool which have a multiplayer mod:
    Multiplayer
    Don’t ride alone. Join users from all over the world live. Create your own routes and compete in them against other Bkoolers.
    I would really like to ride with you guys on some real road, as we drive together (more or less) on real road (tracks) :)

2. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

I will be online during this winter for the first time but i will do everything that is in my power to postpone it as much as possible. I love riding outside, exploring urban and nature areas and a sim can't replicate that. Yes, much be awesome for building up stamina and power but nothing beats being on a real bike :)

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

I totally agree, but I have a different approach - commute to work, curse at the weather and simrace during the evening, purposefully letting my fitness decline, just to avoid crappy weather :rolleyes:

4. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Yes, I really hate the bad weather :broken_heart:, specifically the rain. I tried to go out when cloudy, fogy, cold and chance of rain (or easy rain) but .... I just couldn't do it :poop: I like :sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

5. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Rain isnt that bad if you have the clothing for it. The problem is though; that clothing dosent really exist. Buy the cheap stuff and you boil in it and it'll break. Buy the expensive stuff and it wont break, but you still boil. Buy the REALLY expensive stuff and you get real waterproofing while also able to breathe, but it'll eventually break.

In short, the right clothing in the rain, based on my experiences, dosent exist if you want durability, waterproofing and good breathing. The closest I've come is not my raingear, but my good quality softshell jacket.

When it comes to MTB'ing though, I'll never go for the waterproofs, just good softshell material, no matter the rain intensity. You ride mostly in the forest, in the shelter of the trees and you'll regret putting on something that dosent breath.

Flaviu likes this.
  6. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Same for me Jan. And even my not so very expensive wintergear from Rogelli seems to the job just fine.

I don't mind the rain or the cold. WHat I mind the most during the winter is to having to clean up the bike all the time

Flaviu likes this.
  7. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Just today actually, I found myself on a mtb ride on one of the local trails in the rain. I wore my softshell bibtights (Gore Element), 2 thin baselayers and my softshell jacket. 10 degree temps. After 2 hours the jacket was wet, not soaked, but crucially it still maintained heat, so I wasnt freezing at all. The bibs however isnt really up to the task. I badly need a rear mudguard which has been ordered. They were soaked and as soon as I cooled down after the ride, quite cold to have on. The mudguard will solve this as the rear wheel spray was the issue, not the falling rain.
    But one thing is for certain; going downhill fast in the rain, is a challenge. Particularly with wet, slippery leaves covering the trail.

I find the cleanup process nice and relaxing. Just you, the bike and nothing else, maybe some music in the ears. :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Flaviu likes this.