• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CX / Gravel What tire width are you running on your CX / Gravel / Adventure bikes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am curious to find out which tire widths you have on your bikes. Do you run predominantly off or on road with them? Comfort?

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

700x40c. Predominantly onroad for commuting, but also with hardpacked offroad in mind where they excel equally.

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Are you using the Schwalbe G-One tires @Jan Larsen ?

4. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Yes. Excellent tire on asphalt, gravel and hardpacked dirt. Absolutely terrible in mud, but that was to be expected.

5. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I have a 38mm schwalbe g-one tried on asphalt and country roads. Very comfy and good grip. Not tried on mud because we have it not

6. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Dont bother, its works about as well as a slick, aka not at all :)

Orione532 likes this.
  7. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

front: x-one bite, back: x-one allround both in 33C
    sadly I did just one ride with them because of a cold and overall I was slower than with my mtb

first impression was that they are faster than schwalbe nobby nic 26x2,25" on tarmac(surprise!:joy:) and offroad slightly behind in corners on a par on straights but not as comfy. I have to say I like them as the perfect mixture between nobby nic and marathon supreme (comfort aside)
    BUT as it was only one ride and offroad was like "OMG! the paint, slow down!!"...
    soooo atm no one should take my post seriously :innocent:

edit: I can only compare the x-one with my 26" mtb tyres ;)
    edit2:
    @Jan Larsen : It is your "fault" I ordered the g-one as spare tyres some time ago :innocent::joy::D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Yes many tires are :) Does anybody know which tire is better in the mud or wet surfaces?

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Was there any particular reason you opted for the x-one and not the g-one which seems a bit better for tarmac?

10. NoobOnTour

on my mtb i chose the schwalbe marathon supreme for wet tarmac

I chose the x-one because I wanted a nice offroad tyre without loosing to much speed on tarmac. After all the bike should provide more top speed than my mtb without loosing the capability to ride offroad but after ordering the bike I ordered the g-one to test it, too because of Jan Larsens report of it.

11. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Sorry if we want to have mud we must import it from Belgium :joy:

Bram likes this.
  12. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

The G-one's are great in anything but mud. They even stick on wet asphalt. For proper wet weather offroading, you'll need a specific mud tire with wide spacing between the lugs in the thread or it'll pack up. My bike was born with Schwalbe Super Swan tires which are excellent and cleared mud very well, but I use my bike predominantly for commuting, so the G-ones remain on the bike. I'd love to own an extra wheel set with X-one Bite tires on, but i'm too cheap to go and buy another wheelset, and running on asphalt destroys offroad tires in no time.

NoobOnTour and Bram like this.
  13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh really, i have almost made 7000km on my set of Continental Race King RaceSport on my MTB which is a real race offroad tire but I abuse it massively on the tarmac as well without hardly any wear at all.

If I can ever find a gravel racer with clearance for 29er 2.2 mountainbike tires i will not hesitate to buy the same tire again and create my dreambike (hurry up Canyon with the gravel bike :D)

NoobOnTour likes this.
  14. NoobOnTour

mh I have to look into this after I used all my remaining tyres