• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CX / Gravel Tubeless yes / tubeless no

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Orione532, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I have tubeless ready wheels
    I have tubeless ready tires
    Am I tubeless ready?

I know nothing on the topic, what are pros and cons?
    Any advice?

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  2. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Interested to hear as I am having the same dilemma.

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Here's a good article on the subject: https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tubeless-road-gravel-roads-49404/

My general opinion: For road, no. I see no need, especially if running high pressures which most, if not all, sealants dont like.
    For MTB, yes, but only if you're a skilled rider who can feel the difference. I cant, I run tubes and havent punctured yet. Plus, if I have to fit a spare tube on the trails, I dont have to faff about with sealant everywhere.
    Both tubeless road and mtb can be a real issue mounting if you dont have the right equipment.

4. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

To test the whole thing I tried the "cheap" version once... (no need for tubeless ready rims)

I did not like it because I got a flat tyre after 2 days and it was quite a mess to get rid of the sealant. I guess it was my fault but...
    100% this!

on the other hand... if the tubeless version is correctly mounted you dont have to worry about punctures... and if the damage is to great for the sealant to handle just a spare tube won't cut it either.

So far I've got absolute no problem with flat tyres on my MTB so I did not see the need to follow up on the subject so I've got a spare tube at work and one in my saddlebag

Orione532 likes this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

True, but if you get a larger puncture, you can always use something to patch the inside of the tire that will keep tube in enough to get you home. Energy bar wrapper, paper money etc.

I've been thinking of going tubeless on my Krampus. Mostly because those huge 29x3 tubes are very heavy. It does well as-is with low pressure, but saving rotating weight would make a larger difference in this case.

I have no interest in tubeless on the road.

Orione532 and NoobOnTour like this.
  6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I see your point of view, but I am still intrigued.... maybe I’ll try it

arthur666 likes this.
  7. Bram Hengeveld

I am tubeless since one month now and fully convinced this is the way to go for me. No more innertubes for me.

NoobOnTour and arthur666 like this.
  8. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger New Member

I'm running tubliss on one of my moto's.
    All other motos, road & mountain bikes run tubes. Wait till you see the mess, & I would practice removing and installing tires on those 'tight' tubeless rims.

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  9. Bram Hengeveld

Heya @Darrel Kruger welcome to CyclingDepartment :)

Yes it can be messy when you do it wrong. My advice: always work outside when you setup tubeless. My LBS did the first setup and the tyre blew of the rim. I am sure his wife is still cleaning the shop lol

Orione532 and arthur666 like this.
  10. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

:joy::joy::joy:

11. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Just ordered a tubeless wheelset for my mtn bike. Should be built by 1st week of January. I'll just cross my fingers for dry trails by then. o_O

12. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Picked it up yesterday. Only had chance to ride it up a dirt path ~100m . Wow the weight loss is noticeable. Bike feels much livelier. Rolled like a tractor before. Losing tubes that size makes a huge difference. But also rims, spokes/nipples, and especially hubs are much lighter than what I was running.
    Too bad I won't get a chance to take them on a trail anytime soon (more rain coming).
    IMG_20190123_080547.jpg
    The rim decals will come off, once it warms up enough to remove them cleanly. Not much I can do about all the graphics on the tires tho. : unamused:
    IMG_20190123_080447.jpg
    Glad I went with the classic/classy black. Those gold anodized were calling to me, but I restrained myself and am happy I did.

IMG_20190123_080349.jpg

Also, I would have gone with Industry 9 hubs, but they are so noisy in the freehub. I love them on my road bike, but coasting down a trail in the quiet woods, the loud buzzing was just too much. The White Ind. are much quieter. And they've been around forever, make nice stuff from everything I've heard.
    http://www.whiteind.com/hubs/
    https://industrynine.com/jbend-2/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Flaviu likes this.
  13. Bram Hengeveld

I am now a tubeless convert as well and I am not going back. (Knock on wood 3x) Zero flats during any of my rides since I switched innertubes for sealant. Love it!

14. Rob Moore

Rob Moore Member

When your in a team you have to use what you are given and make it work for you.
    We have switched to tubeless this year Continental 5000TS tyres on ENVE SES 6.7s racing wheels.

Usually tubulars are the way to go in races as, they are a perfect circle in cross section which is much better handling, they also allow you to keep rolling when you puncture before you get a wheel change and not loose too much time. Clinchers just come off the rim and you are screwed, especially if the bunch is pushing on over 55kph+ you will never get back on. Tubeless supposedly will seal at 40psi allowing you to keep rolling then you can select when to change when its easy. 40psi on a tubless setup is actually not bad, you will be able to finish on it ok.

Biggest advantages for road bikes (especially with disk brake design opening up the clearances) is having very wide aero rims that you can put a 25-28mm tyre on that is perfectly circular like a tubular (and aero in profile to the rim shape), but can also be run at much lower pressures. This is apparently the fastest setup at the moment.

At camp 2 weeks ago it was weird getting our heads around how much lower they are in pressure. I mean instead of 100-120psi you are running 65-75psi max for someone 80kg like me, lower for the lighter guys.

Yet to see how we get on with this setup as i've not raced on it yet, (race got cancelled on Sunday week due to high winds).

We shall see, the bike feels so fast though.

For road I'm not convinced tubeless is the way to go for training though, you can't really beat a fresh tube and a CO2 canister, takes 5 mins to change. Also if you rip the tirewall 60 miles from home on your own that is no fun. You can only really get home in that situation with something like a used gel wrapper or a specifically made tyre boot anyway.

Flaviu, Jan Larsen and arthur666 like this.