• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CX / Gravel Tubeless yes / tubeless no

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Orione532, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I have tubeless ready wheels
    I have tubeless ready tires
    Am I tubeless ready?

I know nothing on the topic, what are pros and cons?
    Any advice?

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  2. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Interested to hear as I am having the same dilemma.

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Here's a good article on the subject: https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/tubeless-road-gravel-roads-49404/

My general opinion: For road, no. I see no need, especially if running high pressures which most, if not all, sealants dont like.
    For MTB, yes, but only if you're a skilled rider who can feel the difference. I cant, I run tubes and havent punctured yet. Plus, if I have to fit a spare tube on the trails, I dont have to faff about with sealant everywhere.
    Both tubeless road and mtb can be a real issue mounting if you dont have the right equipment.

4. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

To test the whole thing I tried the "cheap" version once... (no need for tubeless ready rims)

I did not like it because I got a flat tyre after 2 days and it was quite a mess to get rid of the sealant. I guess it was my fault but...
    100% this!

on the other hand... if the tubeless version is correctly mounted you dont have to worry about punctures... and if the damage is to great for the sealant to handle just a spare tube won't cut it either.

So far I've got absolute no problem with flat tyres on my MTB so I did not see the need to follow up on the subject so I've got a spare tube at work and one in my saddlebag

Orione532 likes this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

True, but if you get a larger puncture, you can always use something to patch the inside of the tire that will keep tube in enough to get you home. Energy bar wrapper, paper money etc.

I've been thinking of going tubeless on my Krampus. Mostly because those huge 29x3 tubes are very heavy. It does well as-is with low pressure, but saving rotating weight would make a larger difference in this case.

I have no interest in tubeless on the road.

Orione532 and NoobOnTour like this.
  6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I see your point of view, but I am still intrigued.... maybe I’ll try it

arthur666 likes this.
  7. Bram Hengeveld

I am tubeless since one month now and fully convinced this is the way to go for me. No more innertubes for me.

NoobOnTour and arthur666 like this.
  8. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger New Member

I'm running tubliss on one of my moto's.
    All other motos, road & mountain bikes run tubes. Wait till you see the mess, & I would practice removing and installing tires on those 'tight' tubeless rims.

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  9. Bram Hengeveld

Heya @Darrel Kruger welcome to CyclingDepartment :)

Yes it can be messy when you do it wrong. My advice: always work outside when you setup tubeless. My LBS did the first setup and the tyre blew of the rim. I am sure his wife is still cleaning the shop lol

Orione532 and arthur666 like this.
  10. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

:joy::joy::joy: