• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

I have clothes for -15 for the upper body which works, but the legs start getting too cold at -10. Especially the inner thighs. I've done -12 once and that wasnt pleasant at all.

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

-2 or -3 is about as cold as it gets where i am, but we can get nasty windchill. I once recorded -13 in freezing fog and wind. I'll never forget that day - the weather was sunny so i went with fleece clothing instead of waterproofs and i went out very early. BIG mistake.The moisture from the air got into my kit and froze up. I was so cold i it felt like my bones were hurting. couldn't feel my hands or feet. My face went completely numb and It was the closest i ever got to needing assistance. In the end i stopped and huddled myself into a ball under a tree until the air temp warmed up enough for me to continue.

arthur666 likes this.
  3. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

How the hell do you guys bring up the motivation to bike in these chills?

4. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

I mostly commute at this time of year, so it could be worse. The trails are all muddy and slow right now, no point in going out to them. Plus, the trailbuilders would rather see people staying home than having their trails all torn up.

arthur666 likes this.
  5. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Wahey, +3 and sunshine this afternoon! Time to break out the summer gear...

6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Today weather forcast 10cm snow....

Instead 12*C and sun.... so.....

7. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

These days, after being out with injuries most of last year, I can't take sitting inside for too long. The insanity tightens it's grip until I snap and reach for my biking gear. If it's not raining I'll ride. Numb toes be damned. Actually, rain is not so bad but I don't like tearing up trails or riding with cars in that situation.

If it's raining (or I don't have much time), I'll run. I never get cold running. Even at -4C this morning, I was quite comfy with just thermal tights, a light sweater, and thin wind vest, gloves+hat.

Bram likes this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I have been doing way too little in recent weeks. I will continue to be a lame duck in February as my schedule will hardly allow me on the bike at all but from March on wards i'll be stepping up my game.

arthur666 likes this.
  9. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

-10 this evening coming home from work with a -19 chill. Its beginning to hurt a little...

10. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

I've only been doing the bare minimal but I've found toe warmers to be a joy when out on the chillier days. Not quite as cumbersome as full weather shoe and just enough to keep the toes toasty.

11. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Guys the crazyness of this weather is absolute!
    Today -6, next thursday the forecast is +22. No comment

12. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

-2 and snowing like crazy here. Not nearly as cold as some of you guys but anything sub zero makes the country roads lethal in damp conditions. Not worth risking a broken leg this early in the season. Should be back up to +10ish next week so looks like the turbo will be my best friend for another few days :expressionless:

arthur666 likes this.
  13. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Seems like Northern Greenland is warmer than yall this week. :(
    And we're getting our 2nd polar bomb cyclone.
    Seriously I do not like this at all. The Arctic vortex is really in trouble, dumping all of it's cold air down here. :(

14. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Yesterday at Ticino park.
    2cm of snow and people went crazy

Attached Files:

15. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

As if by magic we're back to +10 today and it's like the last 5 days of Siberia never happened. Going from -5 and heavy snow to +10 and sunshine in little more than 24hrs is bizarre.

Bram likes this.
  16. Bram

Bram Senior Member

It's the same here. Really weird. Bizarre is indeed the more appropriate word.

17. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

We're still in the freezer.

18. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

After the election day also the sky is crying

arthur666 likes this.
  19. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Did you vote Berlusconi back in?

20. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

the old pig is banished from public office to may 2019 (thank God)
    anyway I am very close to run away from my country.
    This morning, the first news was: Piazza Affari (stock exchange) is decreasing, the spread BTP/BUND is raising.
    We are sinking

arthur666 likes this.