• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other The Weather Thread

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

'Winds of hell' terrorising my neighbourhood

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Its january and as if on cue, it gets fecking freezing! -9 on sunday with a -16 windchill. I'll openly admit I'm not a winter person, and while I dont mind light freezing, -10 to 15 is pushing it. Think I'll take the car to work next week..

3. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Funny thing:
    the coldest days of the year are approaching and we are at about 13°C.
    These days in Italy (northern Italy mostly) are called the days of the lady blackbird (i giorni della merla). The legend tells that once the lady blackbird was white. She was freezing during these days and shee took refuge inside a chimney. The coal smoke turned she black as we see the blackbird today.

Sorry for the OT but it is a funny story :D

Velo Wringer likes this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Lucky you! I won't see such temperatures until the end of March :)

5. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

That’s it

Attached Files:

6. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

This is the coldest winter I can remember. I rode yesterday, -3C with wind is almost too cold for me on the road. At least it was sunny. If my toes had been warm, it would've been tolerable. Wool socks+neoprene toe covers weren't enough. I need some of those warmer packs.

7. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

I woundn't dream of venturing out without my overshoes, otherwise I'll need a footbath afterwards to de-ice them...

Orione532 and arthur666 like this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Opened the curtains this morning and saw...sun. Was happy to get back on the bike for an old fashioned dry ride but of course 10 minutes into the ride hail and rain came down again while all weather apps (who many does a man need?) said it would be dry the rest of the day.

arthur666 and Orione532 like this.
  9. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

OMG now you know the truth...
    Ok, we are on a planet which revolves aroung a G class star, we southerns call it THE SUN, and usually it is behind the clouds....
    o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

(of course I'm joking)

PS: the Earth is NOT flat

10. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

I've learned never to base my rides on the forecast. I look out of the window and chances are that whatever is happening will still be happening for the hours i'm out riding.

As a general rule dressing for what the weather is actually doing is the best policy.

Here in the UK we're having the usual crappy cold/wet/windy start to the year. In the old days i would have still ridden every day in these conditions. Now i'm a middle aged fart, i'm glad to have the turbo trainer for the grim days :)

arthur666 likes this.
  11. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I use the met office web page forecast and raintoday's rain radar , I almost never get rained on whilst on a leisure ride. And Yes I'm in the UK

Bram and dazzyb2k3 like this.
  12. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

oooh, i've never seen raintoday - nice find :)

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

We have www.buienradar.nl in the Netherlands. Unfortunately the radar does seem to miss a few showers here and there :)

14. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Here our forecasts are so bad we've all resorded to a Norwegian app for weather reports, its that bad.

15. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

If you want:
    - no government
    - no democracy
    - no social equity

But a great weather Italy is the place Made for you:confounded:

Attached Files:

arthur666 likes this.
  16. Bram

Bram Senior Member

It's unbelievable, the weather the coming week will be.... dry! Very cold, but dry :) Dry = bike!

17. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Gear up though, temps are going to be freezing! o_O

18. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Screenshot_20180204-121408.png
    It's really going to be dry. Whoohoo.

19. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

We have consistent -4 in the day and -10 in the night here right now. Its so cold in the morning that I ride with bibs, bibtights and rainpants on top to keep the legs from falling off...

20. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh that is cold indeed. What is the lowest you've cycled with?