• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Stressed Knee

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Suffering from some serious knee pain the last month. Have reduced my riding to the bare minimum, consulted a doc and stayed off the bike for a good two and half weeks.

Result after 1 hour riding yesterday: back to where I was before. Can barely get up from a chair. Can walk perfectly fine. But bending or stressing the knee is a no go.

Made an appointment with a fysiotherapist next week. Hopefully he knows more whats going on. But I fear Ill be off the bike for quite a while.

Time to swim? :)

2. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I feel sorry for you man!
    it seems time to swim ;)

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Sounds like something inflammatory related. I'll bet a tenner that the physio says 'rest for x days and you'll be fine'.

4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Sorry to hear it Bram.
    I ice my knees when they bother me, ibuprofen.
    When you get back to riding, get that seat position checked out!

Knees are complicated things. I had a pain last week that was unnoticeable on the bike but when I got off, walking hurt like heck. Iced it as much as I could, ran 2 days later and it felt fine. :confused: A mysterious joint.

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am not sure if it's cycling related. Have hardly been on the bike this winter compared to previous year.

Been to the doctor last week who pulled out a diagnosis out of his hat without even checking the knee lol. Not going to bother with that anymore. Tomorrow an appointment with the physiotherapist, hopefully i know more then.

6. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

get well soon! we could drive the support car for the others... :D

7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Get well soon Bram!

In the past I was crocked for almost a year with a bad knee - the key is to treat it early (which I didn't). Assuming there's nothing 'clinically' wrong then cycling related knee problems are nearly always biomechanical - ITB/muscle tightness or imbalance, foot/hip/knee alignment etc.

Lots of rest, stretching, stretching, stretching and PROPER physio are your best bet. In the meantime check cleat positions, saddle height and bar reach.

Bram likes this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Well i just got back from the physio and it's exactly as you say @dazzyb2k3. Muscles are really tight and are sticking to the bone so to say. With lots of stretching and rest it should go away. New physio appointment next week.

arthur666 and dazzyb2k3 like this.
  9. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Glad you got it figured out. The older we get, the more we must stretch, right? I'm taking up yoga. I mean it.

10. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Glad it's nothing more serious Bram. Knees are very fragile - only takes a tight muscle on one side to pull them out of centre - add a couple of thousand pedal strokes on top and its a whole lot of pain!

Arthur is right, muscles get less elastic as you age meaning stretching becomes more important with each passing year.

Get yourself a good sports massage (the kind that makes you cry :p) then buy a foam roller and roll those muscles and ligaments everyday. Using the roller will hurt like hell for a few days until all the muscles get loosened up. If I go more than 3 or 4 days without rolling I can feel the tugging in my knee.

Bram and arthur666 like this.
  11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Sport is healthy uh? :)

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

First sign of improvement today after days of extensive stretching like the physio and you guys ordered. Thanks :)

NoobOnTour likes this.
  13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

More signs of improvements. Got some frictioning techniques from the physio that are helping me a lot. 90% there!

arthur666 likes this.
  14. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Knees are really the worst kind of injury you can have as a cyclist. Best of luck there mate :)

15. Bram

Bram Senior Member

First rides made already. Keeping it short and slow for now :)

arthur666 likes this.