• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTB Show us your mountain bike(s)

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram Hengeveld, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Welcome Brandon :). Nice looking bike you've got there! Dosent look like it has seen any trails yet :p

2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Nope, not yet! Nor have I, but I've discovered there are at least two or three proper mountain bike trails in Indy so I plan to check them out this year. So far I've only been a pavement rider since my main goal was to get exercise and lose weight (lost 40 lbs since May) but I definitely want to do some trail riding too so I made sure to get a bike that should be capable of it.

Here's the specs on the bike, nothing super duper fancy but not bargain bin parts either. I have the 29" wheels.
    https://www.performancebike.com/sho...e-mountain-bike-performance-exclusive-31-2709

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Specs look great, especially for the price. It should serve you well for many years, just remember to get it serviced every now and then. Best of luck on it and dont be afraid to ask if you have questions, there some very capable folks here :)

4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Good to see you here Brandon!
    Looks like a very decent bike for only $650. For offroad, double-wall rims are a must, and so many cheap bikes skimp on that since the average consumer can't tell the difference (until they bend).

5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Hi Arthur! Good to know! Being a relative noob to all this I had no idea that was an important thing but I tried to do a lot of research before making the purchase and this one seemed pretty well kitted out and ready to go for some serious riding. I think it's a good starting point that I can build on in years to come. I read that the Rapid Rob tires are pretty good too, they definitely look more robust than the tires on my old bike and feel much nicer to ride on. The hydraulic disc brakes are awesome, and I really like that I can adjust the strength/pre-load of the front spring.

I'll be sure to share some pics and vids if spring ever decides to actually show up!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    NoobOnTour and arthur666 like this.
  6. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Hi Brandon, nice bike you have there :)
    The spring is closer and closer :sun:, so be ready to go. I'm pretty sure you will have some nice time on and off roads and all I can say it is to have your camera prepared. We wait for those photos.
    Wish you have fun and amazing rides :party:

arthur666 and Brandon Wright like this.
  7. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

I wish! Sunday it got up to 45º F but by the end of the day we had 3" of snow on the ground. It was all melted by yesterday, today it's supposed to be near 70º F but thunderstorms all day and then tomorrow we get another couple inches of snow. It's driving me mad!! :poop:

Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  8. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Brandon Wright likes this.
  9. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Hi Bram! :)

10. Bram Hengeveld

Hey BW, are you on strava as well?

11. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

I'd not heard of it before, looks interesting though. I'll check it out once the weather decides to cooperate (more snow this morning. :sob: )

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  12. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

We're actually having quite decent weather now. Finally, spring has arrived.

13. Bram Hengeveld

The weather is great here as well.

14. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Not here, sadly. We've been hovering around freezing for most of the month so anytime we get an April Shower it turns into snowfall. 6 of the first 9 days of April saw snow here. :mad: Friday looks promising though, hoping for an after-work cruise.

15. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Finally, a nice day! Supposed to get up to about 75f/24c today so I'll be hitting the bike after work!

Flaviu and Bram Hengeveld like this.
  16. Bram Hengeveld

Enjoy your ride!

17. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

I did! Found a nice little park near me that has some paved paths for walking/biking and some mild offroad paths in the woods. It was my first taste of proper mountain biking, I quite enjoyed it and the bike seemed plenty up to the task.

My two babies.
    bike_00.jpg
    View attachment 684
    bike_01.jpg bike_02.jpg bike_04.jpg bike_04.jpg

Flaviu and Jan Larsen like this.
  18. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Nice pictures and video, looks very scenic, much like the terrain we have here :). I'm planning on using my cross bike for similar things this weekend and particularly next week since the weather looks to be great. Was the offroad bit fun? My first time was epic good fun, very tough and a bit overwhelming. But it got me hooked on MTB'ing and it shouldn't be long until I can add one to my collection :heart_eyes:. What camera did you use?

19. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Member

Yes, very fun! It was fairly flat so nothing too crazy but it was a good workout and should be good for getting me prepared for the bigger trails down in Indy. We've had a lot of rain recently so it was a bit muddy in places and I was getting wheelspin which caused the back to step out a couple times, made it impossible to get up a couple of the hills. Considering I haven't really been on the bike for 4-5 months I felt like I held up pretty well but definitely not ready to tackle the big trails yet. Really glad I upgraded my bike too, I don't think my old one would be able to handle the offroad stuff very well. Camera was a first gen GoPro Hero on a chest strap.

This was my first time at this park, I didn't even know it existed until yesterday. Nothing super fancy but it's only about 10-12 minutes from my house and offers a nice variety for riding and nice scenery. I'll be visiting regularly for sure, much nicer than just riding around the neighborhood streets like I usually do. Here's what the big trails in Indy look like, slightly intimidating if I'm honest! :eek: :laughing:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.18.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.24.38 PM.png

20. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Yeah, we have plenty of trails of that nature here aswell, its intimidating to ride them at first, but the trail building crews usually build chicken trails around the bigger obstacles, making them accessible for everyone. I usually stick to the Blue routes since thats the limit both I and my bike can take. With time, and the right bike, I hope to tackle Red routes and even the odd Black route, but thats far into the future :)