• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road RIP Giant Defy

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Too soon, after only 5500km's my loyal road bike has died on me. Rest in peace Giant Defy.

The entire drive train is worn out and needs replacement of the chainrings, chain and cassette, brakepad need to be renewed and most importantly my alloy handspoked realwheel has a tiny crack in it.

All the costs combined renders the bike useless so I am in the market for a new bike (yay!) this autumn and winter.

The Defy frame will get a new life as my indoor winterbike on the Tacx (or similar) with a cheaper groupset.

2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Good idea, keeping it as an indoor bike.
    And convenient you have something else to ride in the meantime, so you can take your time in selecting the perfect new bike. :)

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Yeah my MTB still runs, but barely. Really don't want to spend anymore pennies on it. It needs to last during the summer :)

arthur666 likes this.
  4. James

James Active Member

Only 5500 kms? Riding that thing in a salt rain storm every day? I wear about shifters every few years. The Texasheat and humidity makes me sweat like a pig and The internals start giving out, but chainrings last me years, wheels the same, cassettes and chains I started replacing as a set every year or more.

The good news is that you will just be adding to the collection. Myself, I have 8 or 9 bikes in the garage depending on my mood and if the primary daily rider is in a state of disrepair. Can never have too many bikes!

arthur666 likes this.
  5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Tell that to my other half! :p

Soory to hear the Defy has given up - 5500k's seems a bit premature but I know you're a monster :D
    Still, great excuse for a new bike - which can only a be a good thing. looking at anything particular?

arthur666 likes this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Nah the bike frame is still okay. Problem is the crack in the rear rim that will wear out soon and collapse.

Adding up all the costs (new drivetrain, new rear wheel) for a bike that is bit too small for me anyway doens't add up anymore.