• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road I always hate this consequence of a bike crash...

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by James, Aug 1, 2018.

1. James

James Active Member

Last week I had my first crash in a number of years, and it was a good one. Early morning ride, hit something in the road and went over the bars. It was just an easy recovery ride but boy did I catch some air. Did a face plant on the asphalt road and instantly knew the wife would be pissed - a trio of lower front teeth knocked out and some split lips. Got back on the bike and cycled 3 miles home, cleaned up, prepared my wife for the worst, and drove to the emergency room. 10 hours and 2 hospitals later, I was finally discharged. 3 lost teeth, 1 broken tooth, road rash, stitches in the upper and lower lips, and a fracture C7 vertebra. Being the United States, I eagerly await those hospital bills coming in... And a few months down the road it will be time for expensive, out of pocket, implants to replace my pearly whites.

But all that pales to the real issue - the pressure from the spouse to stop riding. I always hate that discussion.

BTW, the most painful part of this whole ordeal was the road rash and getting shots of lidocaine in the lips. No pain whatsoever from the fractured C7, and having 2 wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago hurt more days on than the violent discharge of my front teeth (no pain at all there).

Crashes suck.

2. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I didn’t had the courage to press like on the post.
    I hope you recover will and fast, as we say in this part of the world “earth is hard”...

Good luck mate!

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Holy cow! Glad it wasn't worse, but otherwise that is nothing but &#!tty.
    Trust me, the fact that your fractured vertebrae is not hurting is good news. I'm still recovering from my L5 fracture (from car wreck in March), but mostly back to normal, even trail riding.
    I can't imagine going thru the dental thing. Nobody should go bankrupt (or toothless) due to an accident.
    Good luck to you.

4. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

No insurance? Best of luck mate :)

5. James

James Active Member

Honestly, I was ready to ride the next day. The look I got from my better half...

Oh, and I have insurance. Just no dental policy,as it is a side policy that costs more than the medical. But looking at my medical, even some of the dental will be covered, just no implants.And what is covered as the result of an accident looks to be better covered than had I had the dental. Go figure. America and our private insurance.

The good news about the teeth is that I could have gotten dental insurance over the years, but the policy is actually not that great - will pay 50% for the teeth, capped at something like $1500 or $2000 per year, and my wife called and was told we'd have to prove the teeth were there before the accident. The ~$10k I saved in the last 5 years on such a policy and the 50% coverage limit will more than pay for the estimated costs going forward. My HSA is about to get tapped into.

arthur666 likes this.
  6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Pardon me man but I'm shocked. Dentists are expansive here because they work on private practics but for the facial trauma and the back injuries they made you pay?
    Here in Italy unless you go to the ER with a broken nail (so they pull you on white code and you have to pay 25€) it is all included in the 55% of taxes I pay on my paycheck

arthur666 likes this.
  7. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Health insurance covers ER visits, but not usually anything involving dental replacement. I had a $25,000 ER bill, but only paid $250 thanks to decent insurance. But if you're uninsured, you're in trouble. Our country was working towards universal healthcare, but then something terrible happened. Don't get me started... :(

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh shit @James I am so sorry to hear that. Best wishes on your recovery!

9. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

@James damn...! I wish you all the best for a rapid recovery!