• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Hydraulic or Mechanical Disc Brakes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram Hengeveld, May 1, 2018.

1. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

For my road / gravel bike I am looking for a disc brake solution. My new LBS is a big fan of Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes over the much more expensive hyrdro's.

What are your experiences for disc brakes on road bikes. Mech or Hydro?

Thanks for the feedback!

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

The only bit I can contribute with is that I've never had any issues with my hydros. Aside from more braking power, not having to fuss with cables is a big plus for me.

3. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Hi Bram,
    I cannot help so much because I moved from Tektro gx20 non-brakes to hydraulic sram brakes. I don't want to move back (obviuosly). For my feeling I'd say Hydro.

by the way are you going on Canyon Grail or you changed your mind?

4. Bram Hengeveld

Nope that hover bar is not doing it for me. Currently looking at a monstrous Salsa Fargo. Big 29er tires with a drop bar on a steel frame. 1x11 by Sram but I am doubting the hydros. The Rival hydros on the Canyon Inflite I tested were always rubbing.

My LBS swears by Avid BB7 as the best option for this bike. I am on the fence.

5. Bram Hengeveld

[​IMG]

arthur666 and Orione532 like this.
  6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

too much for me but I like it
    ;)

7. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Having dealt with hyrdo and mechanical disc brakes on trike and mtb's I'd always say hydro's but I hear its less clear cut with drops .
    I have heard goodthings about the hybrid TRP's though .

ETA
    Asked a mate who gravel rides and he says this Hope hybrid is system is the mutts nuts but not cheap

http://www.hopetech.com/product/v-twin-brake/

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  8. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

I really like that Salsa. Forgot they were making Ti frames.

I've had Hayes, Avid, and Shimano hydraulics on previous mtn bikes. They're obviously better in every way but price. But I'm happy with the BB7 on my current mtb. The Hayes mechanicals on my CX bike are ok, but they seem a little weak. Still stronger than caliper brakes, so they're fine.

The thing about hydraulics vs mechanicals is: you don't have to work on hydraulics as often, but when you do, it's a pain in the ass with the bleeding mess etc. Mechanicals are a breeze. Way easier to adjust than old cantilever brakes. But they come out of adjustment more often with cable stretch, housing can get dirt inside, rust.

9. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

I have to agree with Arthur on this one. Full hydros are obviously smoother and stronger but they are a PITA to work on. Modern cable discs are really quite good - better than i was expecting - and provide more than enough stopping power for me. They are also really easy to maintain. I also have some hybrid cable hydros (Juin Tech F1's) on my Kinesis and i love them to bits. I've also heard really good things about the TRP hybrids but never used them personally. The hybrids are a good compromise and fully sealed so zero maintenance. The only downside is that the calipers tend to look a bit chunky as they need an oil reservoir

10. Bram Hengeveld

Thanks so much guys!