• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech How do you measure if your chain is worn out?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram Hengeveld, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Is there a special way other than consulting the LBS to measure the wear of a chain? When do you guys exactly replace it?

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

3. James

James Active Member

A ruler works just as well

4. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

What do you exactly measure then :) ? Really I am as a-technical as can be :)

5. James

James Active Member

Step 1 - fly to England or the US for you metric loving folks
    Step 2 - by a ruler, yard stick, or a measuring tape with those great English units, aka inches
    Step 3 - fly home
    Step 4 - measure the chain across say 10 links
    Step 5 - if you are 1/16" to 1/8" past the 10 inch mark, you may want to change your chain

The obvious alternative to the above is to use your god awful metric ruler, tape measure, etc and measure 10 links.Ideally you'll be at 254mm, but if you are 2-3mm past that, you may want to follow step 5!

Admittedly, I don't do that. If I did, I'd be replacing chains way too often. There's always the risk that if you let your chain wear too much you'll wear out the cogs and chainrings prematurely. I just do the $$$ trade and determined I could let my chain go 5000-8000 miles and replace the chain and cassette together. It actually costs less than replacing the chain more often.

And look at https://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/how-to-check-for-chain-wear-2/

Velo Wringer and Bram Hengeveld like this.
  6. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

I use a eh... schuifmaat.
    On a new chain it is 146 mm, easy to check the stretch with this tool.
    20180810_231936.jpg
    I know it is arbitrary but any number of links will do. I guess the more links, the more accurate.
    At 147 mm I start thinking replacement. But it is easy to check quickly and more accurate then those fixed measure things.

Bram Hengeveld likes this.