• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Good-bye B'Twin, hello Triban (Decathlon 2019)

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram Hengeveld, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld Senior Member

Triban Adept.jpg
    Bye bye B'Twin, Hello Triban.

It seems that the Decathlon sports discounter is ramping up for epic value for their new bikes. On Road.cc is an article presenting the line up of the brand formerly known as B'Twin.

As shown in the picture above, I especially like the Triban Adept with tyre clearance up to 42mm with hardly any costs involved :)

2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Good looking bike. I like the blackout aesthetic.

3. Bram Hengeveld

Looks a bit like the 2018 Specialized Diverge. Very nice indeed.

4. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Wow, that's really nice. An excellent versatile machine at a great price. It would be a great 'proper' beginner bike that could grow with you into some very serious riding. Good for them. I like it a lot.

I can also see it being a hit with commuters/couriers too.

arthur666 likes this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

I'm glad fat tires are trending. When I was selling bikes, even the cheapest road rides tried way too hard to emulate high-end racing rigs. The first comfy/versatile road bike I remember was the Specialized Sequoia. I remember recommending it to many customers, and people seeming almost insulted that I would suggest such an obviously unracy bike would be sufficient and even superior for their MS charity rides, or Sunday morning 10 mile ice cream ramble. "No no! I want aero bars!"
    Now there seems to be a lot of choices, and many of them actually look cool.

Hmm, just noticed in that pic, the front spokes are black, but the rears are silver. :scream::scream::scream:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

I'm super happy with my wide tires, it makes it tolerable to ride on snow, not great, but possible. I went down 2 weeks ago on black ice, but nothing apart from spiked tires would have saved that.

arthur666 likes this.
  7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Yes, the current thinking is that sacrificing a little rolling resistance for comfort gives you a net gain as more comfort means you can ride longer with less fatigue. As i get older it's hard to argue with that :)

There's never been a better time for beginners to get into cycling. Some amazing 'budget' options these days.

What i find super cool is that bike tech and attitudes have changed to a point where we can have 'do it all' bikes (within reason of course). We can now go fast, be comfortable and look cool over different terrain with one machine.

As much as i like having several bikes, it's becoming harder to justify because each new build becomes more universally capable. A few years ago i would have used all my bikes a decent amount. Now i ride one bike 95% of the time.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  8. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

this bike isn't available in Italy but I have to admit that it is a very good value for money. I like it

9. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

It seems that on autumn the triban would be in italian stores. Seems interesting for the price. The 105 hydr would be around 750£ so less than 1000€

10. Dennis

Dennis Member

That's some good prices

Shame that the new bikes are only coming out at the end of the year as I'm on the fence for an entry level gravel bike

Bram Hengeveld likes this.
  11. Bram Hengeveld

Same here Dennis. However the trend is that companies release their next year models earlier and earlier :)

Dennis likes this.
  12. Bram Hengeveld

Decathlon are now revealing more and more of their 2019 range. Crazy to see how little you have to pay for so much awesome spec'ed bikes!

If this isn't shaking up the industry then I honestly don't know what will.

Triban RC 520.jpg

Orione532 likes this.