• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sport Giro d'Italia 2018

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Orione532, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Still don't get it why he is allowed to race.

3. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

this afternoon on Pampeago the usual... a white train and Froome ready to sprint at -700mt... luckily he didn't won.
    anyway sky is untouchable

4. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Well, I also saw him in Tour des Alpes, but until now "he don't impress me much" :)
    Let's see what the next days will bring to us.

5. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Well he has a strong team he will be hard to beat at Giro. But the Giro is a very hard race with a lot of traps. Technically the Tour is easy to approach

6. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

I think ... money involved :). I heard he get 1.4 mil.$ to participate in Tour des Alpes.
    And, to be honest, I want to see him in any great tour. I don't know how to explain. I'm sure almost all (I know I'm a little cynical now) top athletes use some "helpers". My impression is cycling is a little to sever watched by anti doping agency when other sport (and here I want to say footbal) it is so under watched. Dr.Fuentes had (as rumored) plenty players from Real Madrid and Barcelona and Spanish justice just close the access to files. After some cyclist was identified. It is not fair.
    And ... Lance make me to watch cycling on TV. It was amazing watching him riding and when he was caught doped I feel just sorry for him. Not anger or frustration and I certainly didn't felt as I was stolen. It was 7 magical years and I felt so good watching him riding.
    Here I don't say I agree doping. Just want same treatment for all sports and athletes.
    Sorry for this over sized post :oops:
    Edit
    From Thelegraph.co.uk
    "To date, only cycling has truly been nobbled: 56 riders were implicated in total, although only six served any kind of ban.
    But Fuentes has frequently boasted of, working with athletes from other sports, including football, tennis (hence Murray’s indignation), athletics and boxing.
    If implicated, football clearly carries the potential for a major scandal. Jesus Manzano, the former cyclist whose 2004 interview with the Spanish newspaper AS blew the whistle on Fuentes, said he often saw “well-known” footballers waiting to see the doctor when he went for his red blood cell top-ups, while plenty of clubs are alleged to have worked with him. In 2013, Fuentes even issued, via his lawyers, a series of questions he might be prepared to answer. One of the questions was: “How I prepared a team to play in the Champions League”.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  7. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Replay to my own post. This is a first on this site and maybe others to ;)
    I must apologize to @Bram.
    After a night of thinking ant introspection (another over sized post will come) I just found I and my all country have a big problem. We all coming after a communist era. In this era we all steal. Now I will open a very big parenthesis here. [Literally all. Ours entirely economy belong to state. There was absolutely nothing private in that times. And we all steal from our workplace. It is not an exaggeration at all. In our stores can't find almost nothing to buy. One sample: there wasn't knife to buy. Rarely when you found it, it was very very soft steel. So the people who work at lathe machine steal good steel :) from hydraulic pistons and mad knifes, very very good knifes. And they sold this knifes or trade it with someone who work to textile factory for clothes and steal from there. Our factory worked mostly for export.] Closing big parenthesis, but still having more to say :scream:
    So, back to subject. Our mentality is a little twisted. I mean. So what if he steal? He had to. (Because for 40 years we had to). And this is why we have so many corrupt politicians. We vote them. We know they steal and lie, but it is OK, they had to.
    George Orwell said:
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices"
    So, sorry @Bram, you are right. He should not be allowed to run, and yes, Lance was a thief. And believe me, it is hard to say that :cold_sweat:

Jim Layee likes this.
  8. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Sorry for that big OFF TOPIC post

9. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Giro has started. I hope Tom Dumulin can win again, I like this guy seems very polite, very strong in climbing and against the clock.

10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Chris Froome isn't doing very well now is he?

11. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Always hard to read. Today it seems that he was a little bit behind but...
    this is the situation after the volcano:

STAGE 4:
    1. Esteban CHAVES (Col - Mitchelton-Scott) 169 km in 4.16’11’’, media 38,41 km/h; (10s)
    2. S. Yates (Gb); (6s)
    3. Pinot (Fra) a 26’’; (4s)
    4. Bennett (N. Zel);
    5. Pozzovivo;
    6. Lopez (Col);
    7. Carapaz (Ecu);
    8. Dumoulin (Ola);
    9. Aru;
    10. Froome (Gb);
    19. Betancur (Col) a 57’’;
    21. Dennis (Aus) a 1’04’’;

CLASS. —
    1. Simon YATES (Gb - Mitchelton-Scott);
    2. Dumoulin (Ola) a 16’’;
    3. Chaves (Col) a 26’’;
    4. Pozzovivo a 43’’;
    5. Pinot (Fra) a 45’’;
    6. Dennis (Aus) a 53’’;
    7. Bilbao (Spa) a 1’03’’;
    8. Froome (Gb) a 1’10’’;
    9. G. Bennett (N. Zel) a 1’11’’;
    10. Aru a 1’12’’.

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Simon Yates will be a tough cookie to crack for Dumolin and others. The guy has a very decent TT and go uphill with the best of the best when he has a great day like yesterday. For sure one of the favorites now for the title.

Has been a great first week !

13. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I agree. We will see what happens when they arrive up north

14. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Tomorrow the stage of Il Giro will end at Imola, and today (stage 3) Tour of California will have the finish at Laguna Seca. Entering the circuit at T5 and going down through The CorkScrew to Finish line. I'm watching now "live". 15 km to go. Nice :heart:

15. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Well, about Sky, Nicola Portal and all team still saying:
    "Froome had come into the Giro with the strategy of building his form throughout the race". OK, but for me the all team looks weak too, not only Froome. Maybe they are lost without the leader. Always Sky team works for no.1.
    Instead Mitchelton-Scott looks to be a very strong team, except Esteban Chaves who lost 25 minutes (25) in one stage. In comparison Froome is still good.
    Simon Yates show some nice strength. And he even fight for bonus seconds.
    It is a good first grand tour to watch.
    Edit:
    I just saw the 11 stage of Giro..... AMAZING FINISH at Osimo for Simon. What a guy. What a stage !!!!! BEAUTIFUL
    Froome lose another 40 sec and Chaves 4 minutes

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  16. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

In my humble opinion the victory is between Tom Dumulin and Simon Yates. Let's see what happens before the crono

17. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Stage 14, Monte Zoncolan ....... I'm without words. JUST AMAZING !!!!!

18. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

today best stage so far. Simon amazing interpretation of the last 20kms

19. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Home early for the TT of today. I don't think Tom Dumoulin will be able to bridge this big of a gap with Yates but you never know. Interesting race.

20. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

What a show guys, what a show. Aru fought back, Froome has not sweep the table, Tom got close but...
    Pozzovivo and Pinot can fight for 3rd place

Wow I’m happy