• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fuel and Hydration - sports nutrition?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by arthur666, Jul 16, 2019.

1. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

What do yall consume pre/during/post ride?

Usually I only take water and a Clif bar and gel blocks on a ride. But lately I've taken the advice of my friend who is both a pharmacist (do you Europeans call him a chemist?) and an endurance athlete: Making my own rehydration fluid, similar to Gatorade, but with more potassium and no sugar.
    Simple recipe is 1/2 tsp (~2ml?) of salt, 1/3 tsp (~1.5ml?) of potassium chloride (sold as "No Salt" sodium alternative here) and 1L (or 1 water bottle) water. You can use sugar too if you like 2.25 tsp(11ml). I don't.
    It's taste is very neutral, barely salty. Goes down easier than glugging water. Almost like my body is hungry for it, absorbs it quick. Hard to describe.
    He actually based it on Pedialyte, which is for helping dehydrated infants, but too expensive to buy as a sports drink.

Pre-ride, usually coffee, bowl of plain oatmeal and a couple of fig-bars.

Post ride, a smoothie of almond milk, banana, peanut butter, whey protein powder, chocolate breakfast powder (Carnation Instant Breakfast). And then I also eat whatever real food I can scrounge up. But getting that protein/carb shake as soon as possible post-ride is good for recovery.

2. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Just plain water for me as having a heart condition, too much salt and potassium is not a good thing. I don't do the kind of mileage most of you do so water is fine for now.

arthur666 likes this.
  3. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Great topic :D

Pre ride is always a massive bowl of oat based cereal or granola in the summer, or porridge/oatmeal in the winter.

I don't normally take any solid food on rides less than 3hours. Otherwise i just grab a couple of trek bars or whatever we have lying around. Generally something natural or fruit based. Maybe a banana too.

Post ride I generally don't have anything specific but i do time my rides so I'm home around mealtimes to refuel as shortly as i can afterwards. If that's not possible I have a tub of Chocolate SIS REGO powder on standby.

Drinkswise, I'll take 2 large bottles of water on rides less than 3hrs. Then either 1 bottle water and 1 energy drink or 2 energy drink depending on distance. Usually I make my own. Equal mix of fructose and maltodextrin (i buy in bulk from amazon) with a pinch of salt and some kind of flavouring - often vanilla, coffee or strawberry as i like my drinks to taste like dessert :)

arthur666 likes this.
  4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Oh, yeah. That's why potassium pills are not available as a supplement, here at least. Prescription only. Too much can be dangerous to the heart.
    Right now I'm not doing a ton of mileage, but I'm sweating so much. Heat index is in the 100F range this week. Years ago I'd gotten sick and woozy after a race, from drinking enough water but not replacing salts. Hyponatremia. It was a bad feeling, like a nasty hangover.
    I don't like to carry Gatorade on a ride. It gets warm, and bottle gets sticky. Grosses me out a little. :p

Can't beat that stuff. Racehorse fuel!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019