• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTB Drivetrain on MTB

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by SnyperAL, Feb 26, 2018.

1. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I ride a cube acid 29er, she's about a year old now i think. I recently had a new cassette and chain on it as I had worn the old one out. I was quite surprised as my old claude butler hits every gear every time and has never had a chain fall off despite virtually no maintenance.

Anyway the chain has already started slipping a little, surely I havnt worn out another cassette already?? It's a 10x3 drivetrain, so do i have too many gears? is it worth looking at 10x2 to ease up on some of the abuse the chain gets? I don't really understand it all, as i say my butler (21 gears) never had a chain fall off or foul up or anything despite quite a few years of abuse. This cube acid chain is quite often getting jammed.

Just looking for some advice or guidance, my experience with this bike is starting to get me down, I spent £900 on something which is proving less reliable than my £250 butler.

cheers for any help.
    AL

2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

If your chain is skipping, I would double check your derailleur adjustments and possibly replace or at least clean and lube your cables and housing.
    Those old 7 speed drivetrains were better at tolerating being not quite perfectly adjusted. But 3x front setups are always a trade-off. Extra chain slack since it has to cover such a wide range, and being close to cross-over gears like small/small is notorious for poor shifting. My only bike that ever gives me any shifting trouble is my 3x9 touring bike, mostly the front shifting.

If your riding terrain and abilities are conducive, I would look into a 1x10 setup. I've been very happy with that on my last 5 mountain bikes. With full suspension I used a single chainring sandwiched between 2 bashguards. It is often tricky to set it up, but once you do, it's bulletproof. For a hardtail, I'm having good luck with a narrow/wide chainring and clutch rear derailleur. A clean, elegant solution for sure.

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Echo what arthur said, and if you can fork out the money, go 1x10/11 with a clutch rear derailleur. Clean, reliable, easy to use. No chain slip, no chain coming off, no noise. I'll never go front derailleur on any of my future bikes.

arthur666 likes this.
  4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Having a single or 3 rings won't make much difference to drive train wear , if any.

1. Is your drive train clean and lubed ? A clean chain is a happy chain, Check out the Mickle Method http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

2. Check your indexing and mech alignment with the 3rd smallest cog when in that gear.

3. Change your cables , its a small job to replace the inner cable and outer + inner is easy enough with some good cutters.

4. Buy a chain measuring tool and use it http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-chain-wear-indicator-cc3-2/rp-prod5784

5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Pretty much wot Jim and Arthur said :)

Has it been skipping ever since it was fitted or just recently?
    Is it the correct chain and cassette? (i'm sure it is but worth asking)
    Have you retained any cassette spacers that are required? (if your wheelset needs any)

1x or 3x shouldn't make any difference to wear, and unless you ride a truly insane amount, i highly doubt that it's worn again already. It's likely the tighter tolerances needed for a flawless 3x setup (not sure there's even such a thing) that mean something's out of alignment. New running gear often needs adjustment when first fitted and again after a bedding in period.

6. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Plenty to go at here thanks guys.

I'll go over my drivetrain clean up all the gears and give the chain a once over.

My biggest fear is that when I put my hammer down when the going gets tough and I properly break something.

I've got some brushes and bits and bobs ordered to help clean the worst parts up.