• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sport Chris Froome Busted

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Positive dope test for Chris Froome during the Vuelta of this year.

Heavy downplaying is already in progress. Now lets see what the cyclingpeleton is really made of.

2. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Well it happens... otherwise cycling is a sport that you can practise easily althoght you have athsma.

Joking apart, the use and abuse of drugs in cycling is exagerated. Some months ago in Italy after an amateur race the italian federation tried to do an antidoping control: 12 out of the first 15 broke away to escape controls. It is useful to underline that there was no cash prize

Bram likes this.
  3. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

To be fair, salbutimol isn't really 'doping' in the real sense. It's not a banned substance and has no performance enhancing properties. It's the same drug used in asthma inhalers and simply allows those with the condition to breath like a normal person. Taking it in excess has little to no additional benefit. You'd get more from a can of coke or a coffee.

Cycling has such a bad rep (unfairly so, as it's no worse than any other professional sport), that it's become the whipping boy of the media. All cyclists with abnormal levels of anything are instantly branded 'drugs cheats'. When was the last time a footballer was hung out to dry for taking an extra puff on his inhaler?

Froomey had more than the recommended level which flagged up an adverse finding. Rules are rules and if this can't be explained he can and should be punished - but this is more about Sky's lack of control than performance enhancement.

4. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Cycling is probably the most checked for doping Pro-sport. And this is a good thing. the situation that I find hilarious is the amount of people suffring ahtsma that is huge.
    Anyway I am sure Froome has the infrastructure (medical and legal) to explain himself. In my opinion it would be bad (both for him and for the cycling in general) if he would be disqualified as Vuelta a Espana winner. The same happened with Contador for the picogram of sustence (that I cannont spell) he was found positive.

5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

For sure. Cycling has (hopefully) gone through it's cleansing period and is coming out the other side to the point where it's almost gone too far. However, there will always be people taking the risk and those who aren't over the limit will be right on it. That's the nature of elite level sport when performance = money .

I suspect the situation is far worse in almost every other pro sport. If they were put under the same level of scrutiny the fallout would be truly monumental.

Orione532 likes this.
  6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I follow a lot of US sports like NBA and NHL and I see sometimes situations beyond the human (like Lebron James block on 2016 finals when this man 120kg run the field in less then 4 secs). The same in athletics where you can see a lot improvement in a very short amount of time

dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  7. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I think this is just the start for Froome and another chip in the armour for Team Sky, I'm hugely cynical about the cleanness of Sky's success and over here the cracks in the system are beginning to widen.
    Even though the doping in cycling is considerably down on earlier times it's all bets off when it comes for the Grand Tours where the super domestiques going day after day in to the red still looks like the old days.

Orione532 likes this.
  8. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I've just read on newspaper that Sky isn't part of the "MPCC" so they don't want to stop Chris. Info confirmed on MPCC website. Very sad, honestly, that the biggest Pro-team is not member of MPCC. This is the link at the article http://www.mpcc.fr/index.php/en/

9. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

IIRC Team Sky didn't want to join MPCC as they were operating in a higher state of cleanliness; with a no needs policy (oops) , no abuse of TUE's (oops) and no hiring of riders or staff tainted with previous doping ( again oops). Whatever the reality of their holier than thou plans it was quickly replaced with a win at all costs philosophy.

Orione532 likes this.
  10. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

So say we all

11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Can somebody explain why a rider gets caught with the double doze of what is allowed in his blood and is yet still not suspended?

12. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

I am sorry to say but it's all about money, and sky is fully loaded

Jim Layee likes this.
  13. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

lol partly that - and also because Salbutamol is not a banned substance or a performance enhancer and doesn't even need a TUE. It's just one of a gazillion things that WADA have guidelines on and sky have some explaining to do.

Whether he should be suspended in the meantime is a matter of opinion. I would suggest not. As there's no performance benefit and Froome hasn't failed any drug test he should be clear to ride until the investigation is complete IMO.

14. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

Salbutamol opens up the airways (for astmatic purposes), so in theory it COULD be a performance enhancer if the dosis is deliberately higher than prescribed. The sideeffects are severe though, so personally I'd stay well clear of that method. But it is a distinct possibility, however very low.

15. Bram

Bram Senior Member

But in the amounts he took it it was a banned substance not? I mean an expert on Dutch radio said that these values are common for a person who almost died of asthma.

16. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

He had double the WADA recommended amount. 2000ng i think. That's about the amount the docs would give you if you went to hospital with a bad asthma attack. It's not a banned substance (in any quantity). Just something that the UCI have 'guidelines' on. It simply allows an asthmatic to breathe the same as a normal person. As Jan said, you're more likely to make yourself sick from the side effects.

Many kids go to school with an inhaler - and would exceed the WADA limits daily.

I'm not saying he should avoid punishment but the whole issue has been blown out of proportion by the media. No other sport on the planet would be subject to this level of scrutiny just because one of it's stars took a couple of extra puffs on an inhaler.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  17. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

Ok but many kids in School are not cycling pros

Bram likes this.
  18. Bram

Bram Senior Member

No other sport on the planet has messed up their own credibility so much as professional cycling in the last 30 years ;)

19. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

While Salbutamol is not a banned substance rider need a TUE to have doses above the limit. Therefore Froome is in breech of the rules, ie a technical infringement the same as if during a RD race one driver had modded his car to have more grip than his competitors. This is called cheating and not an oversight.

Bram likes this.
  20. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

You're right, a TUE is needed to go above the limit. My main beef about the whole situation is how it's been blown up to epic proportions for what is a minor infringement. Cases like these are not normally even publicized by the UCI. If it wasn't for the leak it wouldn't even be news.

Not really more grip, just modding his car to have the same grip as his competitors :p