• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

CX / Gravel Canyon Grail

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Was talking to a Canyon rep yesterday at the Bike Motion Fair in Utrecht and he told me that Canyon is working hard to release a gravel racer in the first quarter of 2017.

Together with the AL disc brake version of the Endurace SLX that is the second scoop in a week from the Germany company.

UPDATE: Not officially announced but the Canyon Gravelbike will be released in the spring of 2018. More soon...
    UPDATE: The wait is over, The Canyon Grail is here

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

@Bram, what was the last bike that you didn't want ? I'm just the same and would have way more than the 7, and counting,I have already.

Number 8 is in the planning stage. I have a Guerciotti Record frameset that I'm debating whether to single speed or build it in retro racer style, down tube shifters etc
    [​IMG]

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Ideally I need two bikes for each surface or occasion :)

Jim Layee likes this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Weird, was emailing with Canyon today and now they more or less deny the gravel bike coming.

Damn, was really looking forward to one.

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I hoped for an announcement during the Velofollies expo this weekend in Belgium but no luck, still nothing.

6. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

C'mon man you have a brand new road bike.... :)

7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Nope returned it after two weeks as I coudn't ride this winter on skinny tires. Glad I did as the roads have been crap from the moment I received it until a long time from now. Might pick it up in April again when the weather gets better.

8. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

i was wondering about you riding just your mtb :joy:

9. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Me too. That explains a lot :)

I like the idea of 'borrowing' a bike for a few weeks then sending it back. :p

10. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

canyon are not going to send bram another bike for at least 3 month :D:p:innocent:

11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Mother nature blocked my ambitious riding plan for this winter. Nothing wrong with the bike as it's the best I have ridden on so far but i am not going to ride with skinny tires without mudguards with all this rain we are having here for the last months.

You can't use the bike for 30 days and then send it back. Canyon offers this 30 day return policy for acceptable usage. I drove 27km on it so they can still sell it as almost unused. What they will not allow is riding it daily for a month and then conclude that the bike isn't a good fit.

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh they will as I have been waiting for almost 1.5 years for this bike to be released. Can't be long now.

Oh man, I am going to be utterly disappointed if the bike is nothing of my liking haha.

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

According to Canyon they are not planning to bring the new bike to the Bikemotion fair in Utrecht next week (yet).

It's becoming a joke really how long this takes.

14. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

So what the latest? Is it even in production yet?

15. Bram

Bram Senior Member

No and they start to be secretive about it again which isn't a good thing. Can't understand why it's taking them two years to deliver on a promise and release the damn thing.

Maybe they are waiting on a new SRAM "road" groupset?

dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  16. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Well well well after two years of waiting it's finally here. The Canyon Grail, gravel bike.

No 1x SRAM groupsets, no aluminium version until the 2019 year, hideous looking cockpit (unless it starts to grow on me). But a good looking bike if you ignore the first part of this sentence. Very affordable also but ... meh...wow...meh...wow.. Can't decide.

Your thoughts?

17. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

ummmm........

No wonder they kept it under wraps for so long. I'm kinda lost for words. Looks robust and I bet it rides quite nicely but jeez. I suspect this will divide opinion between those who own one and those who just think WTF. I'm definitely the latter.

Even forgetting the ridiculous cockpit its all a bit meh. I think my gravel bike dollars would be looking elsewhere.

18. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am on the fence at the moment. From certain angles the bike looks absolutely amazing and from other viewpoints the handlebar looks hideous.

In my point of view it's missing quite a few things for a gravel bike. No 3rd bottle mount under the downtube. 700c tires can only take a tirewidth of 42mm, no 1x drivetrain from SRAM or Shimano, no aluminium version either. I really fear i'll wreck carbon with my giant body.

19. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member

well mate... I don't really know!
    the handlebar could be clever but, in my humble opinion is ugly. Then it is very expansive, 2.2k€ for the entry level is a lot.
    I don't know, for me is a road race bike with a huge wheels section. I wouldn't buy it. To saty with canyon I would buy the inflite.

20. Orione532

Orione532 Senior Member