• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Budget Helmet Cam Advice

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Nobkins, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Nobkins

Nobkins New Member

I've been cycling all my life and (so far) never been knocked off.

I commute once or twice a week just a short 3 miles each way.

Recently the driving standards is getting worse (or I am getting less aware - who knows).

Today two close calls involving and oblivious driver and a highly aggressive driver have made my mind up.

I need a helmet cam.

Does anyone have a recommendations?

It is primarily a safety / show my point of view camera. I do shift work so cycle day and night.

Don't want to spend more than £100 including sim card etc.

Hope you guys can help me stay safe :D

Cheers!

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Senior Member

The GoPro Hero Session is the best choice in my opinion, it weighs nothing, but its slightly over budget and discontinued. Can be found online though if your lucky. But if its only for documentation, any action cam will do really, there's certainly no need to buy top of the line stuff. I thinking about it too, as like you, I also have close encounters every once in a while on my commute, 3 yesterday alone. All elderly women not using either the mirror or their eyes.

3. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

+1 for the hero session. It tried tons of action cams before sending them all back and deciding the session was the best option. It's a perfect balance of image quality, portability, battery life and features. While it doesn't excel in any single area it's good enough in all of them to make it a winner IMO. Not to mention the gazillion accessories that are available. A bit over budget but worth it - you might pick one up second hand at a good price.

4. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

I know I'm a little late at the party, but just saw this
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/tech/a27054272/lidl-cheap-action-camera-gopro/
    I use one of this:
    https://www.banggood.com/SJ4000-Wat...037.html?rmmds=search&ID=224&cur_warehouse=CN
    It isn't GoPro but he done the job. We buy 3 (with two friends), one is broken (was used with WiFi on and power plug 24/24) .The others 2 are in good shape. Snow and underwater action for my friend and cycling for me, and everything is OK. Got some spare battery and a standalone charger. The good thing is the 100% compatibility with all GoPro accessories.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019