• “No Matter How Slow You Go, You're Still Lapping Everyone on the Couch!"
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Alpe d'Huez

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Ricoow, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Hello guys,

I have been away for a long long time. However, I do have a target now. My mom has sadly passed away recently due to cancer. In the Netherlands we have a charity event to raise money for research etc callen Alpe d HuZes (zes is dutch for six). This event is running June 7th and basically is climbing the Alpe d'Huez in France either by bike or by foot and finding sponsors to pay you for your achievement (ofcourse, no electric biking allowed). The organization allows you to climb it up to six times (hence the Huzes reference). With my current condition and weight being terrible (first priority to improve), and me living in the Netherlands (flat as *bleep*) I was wondering what I/we could/should do to get ready to climb it at least twice in just 5 months. I am planning to ride it with at least 2 friends and am looking around for more friends to join.
    Anyways, who has some advice on this?

Bram likes this.
  2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Sad coincidence. i was just wondering this morning how your mom would be after the last time we spoke. I am so sorry for your loss Ricoow :(. My condolences.

With regards to your question. I think you can simulate mountains. Go up the ramp of bridges multiple times in a ride and of course on days like today we have the amazing Dutch Mountains aka massive headwind. Especially where you are living there should be plenty of wind.

I'll do my best to support your cause Rico. Make your mom proud.

If it doesn't clash with cycling trip to Luxemburg I might join you on the Alpe.

Wish you all the strength with your loss. If it helps drop me a line.

Ricoow likes this.
  3. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.
    Wish you good luck to accomplish your goal.

Ricoow and Bram like this.
  4. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Well there is your answer unfortunately... Thanks Bram

That is indeed a good challenge haha. And indeed with the lake here it is hell on the dijk :p I am also planning on doing a trip to the veluwe or south-limburg for some hill training somewhere august like.

The deadline to register is februari 1st Bram, keep it in mind :p

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh that's soon. Well at least gives me a push to get my schedule sorted.

You are most welcome to train at the Utrechtse Heuvelrug. Four minutes of pure hell.

6. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

I'd first like to train and be able to get there by bike :D

7. NoobOnTour

NoobOnTour Well-Known Member

My condolences!

is relatively slow riding in a gear for high speed an option?

8. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Currently considering whether or not to do it this year or next year, since 5 months is a short time and training time is limited.

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

You can do at least one time up the Alpe without too much training Ricoow. Multiple times requires more practice of course.

10. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

People dont get to read much if you dont press send, do they :p

Anyways, my friends and I decided to postponing it for a year, but 2019 will most definetely do it :D

Bram and arthur666 like this.