• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Zwift, who is on it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by norbs, Jun 30, 2016.

1. norbs

norbs Member

It is winter here in Australia, so i am getting a lot of use out of my new Kickr Snap.

[​IMG]

Anyone else using Zwift? This from last nights Aussie HDR. 249 riders.

[​IMG]

Andrew and Bram like this.
  2. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

@norbs : I'm not on Zwift, looks cool! 249 riders, crowded ;)

I was intriged by the SUFFER banner on the side though. :p I looked up the website (thesufferfest.com)...do you use this website for training?

3. norbs

norbs Member

The Sufferfest is an awesome training aid. I have reviewed quite a few of the videos.

http://www.nonprocycling.com/sufferfest-video-reviews-2/

Highly recommended. If you sign up, tell them norbs sent you. ;)

Andrew likes this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I have a premium subscription on Strava. Does that mean I have access to Zwift as well? What kind of device would I need to get this running?

Looks like a fabulous solution for the winter @norbs!

5. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

I saw it a few times as well. Does it work well with more basic trainers? These smart trainers are a bit to expensive. For the next 5 I will enjoy the weather outside, but maybe in January/February it would be good.

6. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

That looks oddly satisfying :eek: If only I had the moneys

7. norbs

norbs Member

Premium Strava gives you 2 months of Zwift.

You will need a turbo trainer and an ANT+ dongle.

Lots of info here. http://zwift.com/what-is-it/

8. norbs

norbs Member

List here... http://zwift.com/what-is-it/supported-trainers/

9. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

Hi @norbs I have just got my self a turbo trainer, only a basic one, not a smart one. Tacx Booster.

I done a workout last night, one from the academy section, pre-test ride. From doing that I have a question.

How do I know what resistance level to set when climbing?

The section I was was quite hilly, around 9-10% for the last 4-5 miles of the ride. As I was only doing the pre-test ride I just left the resistance a level 2 and just concentrated on keeping to the watts it told me to put out.

Should I have been adjusting the resistance even though it was only a pre-test ride?

Is there a guide for people with manual resistance levers to know what to set when climbing?

By the way, it was fun. Can't wait actually be in a position to do a race.

10. norbs

norbs Member

Sorry mate. I have a smart trainer, so not sure how to go about sorting you out.

11. Wayne Morgan

Wayne Morgan Member

Ah ok mate, no problems.

12. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

I am seriously considering a smart trainer for the winter, total setup cost for 500 euro's :eek:

Does it feel like you are actually riding a bike (besides the wind)? Do you feel the muscles getting sore after a while?

13. norbs

norbs Member

Yep. On Zwift it is great. I did a 101km ride yesterday and i am very sore today.

Ricoow likes this.
  14. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

Which kind of trainer are you thinking about?

15. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Ive seen a tecx smart trainer for 330. (Does need additional ANT+ USB Dongle for the PC, but that isnt expensive) A mat under it for 30 (euros btw) and I am good to go :p Will do so when autumn strikes holland probably

16. norbs

norbs Member

One thing to keep in mind, Zwift is basically a 3D game. So a reasonable PC is needed.

17. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Thanks, but it handles BF4 on Ultra so that shouldn't be any problem at all!

Also have two more questions for you;
    How does your speed and distance on zwift compare to outside?
    Doesn't it get boring sitting 3 hours in front of your pc screen?

18. norbs

norbs Member

Ha, well yes, your PC will be fine. Most gamers will be fine. Others that try and run it on an i3 laptop, not so much.

Speed and distance are close. I can go faster on Zwift for sure. I averaged 33kph for the 100kms. Apparently a lot of that is because the roads in Zwift are silky smooth. Normally the country roads I ride on are terrible. I know when I go to Adelaide for Tour Down under i average higher speeds on the flat because the roads are a lot better. If you are into numbers, this is a good read... http://zwiftblog.com/tests/

Boring, not really. I had a 2nd monitor set up and was watching episodes of Archer. ;)

Ricoow likes this.
  19. FLOKI

FLOKI Member

Hi guys and gals new here and a big lover of Zwift.
    a great training / just spinning the peddle aid. I'm time poor so with ut it i am being dropped on group rides.
    with it i can contest and sometimes win the sprints all be it c grade riders i am no spring chicken.

I have a TACX Vortex did my research on DC Rainmaker before buying and it works well and has a good road feel.