• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sport Your sportive goals for 2017

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I would like to learn about your sportive ambitions for the next season. What are you plans? Are there any specific events you train for?

Don't forget to add links /pics /vids of all the cool things you are planning please :)

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

As this is only my 'first' season again since a very long absence from the bike I got a ton of goals I'd like to achieve but first I'll let you guys talk :)

3. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Mine is: 2 consecutive laps around Nordschleife at one of the various events where you can ride there (e.g. Rad am Ring).

I did a lap years ago without preparation (so no regular rides etc) and that lap ended up being pure torture :D

So 2 laps will be an improvement and also a nice training goal for me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh can I join too? That would be amazing to drive there! Is this a road or mtb event? @Dennis

Dennis likes this.
  5. Dennis

Dennis New Member

That would be awesome!

There are several disciplines during the "Rad am Ring" weekend:
    • Touring rides
    • Public races (25km, 50km and 75km)
    • 24h road race
    • 24h MTB race
    • ... and some more
    During the touring rides you can use the track for 5h with pretty much every bike and do as many laps as you want. My MTB is located close to the track, but it will probably be more fun with a road bike. What do you think?

The public races also sound very tempting, but I'm not sure if that might be a bit much as I have never raced before :D

Edit: Some impressions from this year:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Bram and Burke Wells like this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Would really like to join this one @Dennis and I am sure @Petra and @Ramon wouldn't mind joining either.

Personally I would really love to run on the circuit itself. Have been on the other side of the fence too many times :)

Dennis likes this.
  7. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

That sounds fantastic, we would defo need footage of the track ride.

Dennis likes this.
  8. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Bumping;
    Really need to do more kms next year than I did thus far... Currently recovering from an ankle injury so that would start in February.
    Also will be training for Ronde van noord Holland 110km in april, (huge pain in the ass upcoming longest ride so far is just 50k) and also looking forward to riding the Zandvoort circuit.

Dennis and Bram like this.
  9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Welcome back @Ricoow. Good to see you will be getting back on the bike. I should join you for the Rond van Noord Holland I think, sounds like a challenge with some Dutch headwind :)

10. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

I'd be utterly hopeless at that. Even the slightest breeze and my legs pop :confused:

Recently I watched the Dutch headwind championships on TV. That was just insane. I'd rather spend all day climbing than endure 5 mins of that. Those guys are nails.

11. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Couple of my friends drove it last year, they had some real tough time with the wind indeed... So scared now given my short preparation time.
    Still in doubt whether or not I should get myself a smarttrainer for Zwift.

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

You don't need months of preparation to cycle 100KM on the flat. You have all winter to train :)

13. dazzyb2k3

Yeah, 100(ish)KM is a good distance to aim for. It's very achievabe without any 'specific' training (unless you want to). Ride regularly a couple of times during the week with a longer one at the weekend. Just enjoy being on the bike. Ride hard when you feel good. Ride easy when you don't. Try to build up to a point where you can stay in the saddle for ~3 hrs on the long rides. Even if you don't get to that point then a flat 100KM as a 'one off' effort is more than do-able if you have plently of regular riding under your belt. Especially if you find someone the size of @Bram to hide behind :D

If you intend to use a trainer, then try to get out 'properly' whenever you can - i'd suggest once a week as a minimum. Indoor training is great for building fitness but distance riding is just as much (if not more) about getting used to being on the bike, knowing when (and what) to eat and drink, what to wear, dealing with changing terrain, conditions and environments and how your body responds as you get deeper into a ride. This stuff is different for each of us and only comes with real world testing. I've seen many riders with less than ideal fitness complete super tough rides becuase they knew what to expect and how to manage it.

Jim Layee and Bram like this.
  14. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I shall not be abused on the flat :)

Always the same with tiny people in my wheel on the flat who overtake me on the first meters of a climb and wait on the top with cake and coffee for 30 minutes when I arrive :blush:

Burke Wells and dazzyb2k3 like this.
  15. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

This is only partially true unfortunately... Still not properly recovered from the ankle injury, cant unclick my foot from the paddle without damaging anything...
    Thank you for your insights, will surely take them into consideration :)

16. dazzyb2k3

Just entred my first Sportive for 2017. The Wiggle Ups & Downs on 11th March.

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-ups-and-downs-sportive/

Going for the Epic route wich is a fairly lumpy 80 miler. This is much further than i would normally ride this early in the season as i typically build quite slowly but i like a challenge and i think i'll be OK if i keep things fairly sedate. Fingers crossed the weather isn't too grim.

Also got my place on the Prudential Ride London 100 at the end of July which is a staple part of my calandar. As a general rule i'm usually in OK condition by mid/late summer and it's a spectacular (if somewhat overcrowded) event.

I'll also pick up a few other ad-hoc sportives throughout the year.

arthur666 likes this.
  17. Bram

Bram Senior Member

All events and sportives I was looking out for in the first half of the year I have taken off the calendar. When my plaster is removed and I can climb on the bike again I am happy with each KM i can put it again.

Hopefully recovery will be as short as possible as I really miss my bike.

Planning to do the Giro di Kika Race in September which is now my first and only goal for 2017.

arthur666 likes this.
  18. dazzyb2k3

Wiggle Sportive day tomorrow :)

Only had about 3 meaningful weeks of training this year, but i feel like i'm on an upward trejectory and i've been feeling good this week so looking forward to it. Weather forcast is unusually mild for this time of year so hopefully i won't have to wrap up like the michelin man.

I have a couple of friends doing the shorter route so i'll be riding with them for the first 20 miles before we part company. I'm in no condition to beak any speed records so it's essentially mass participation training miles for me. Just going to take it as it comes and enjoy the day. Just getting round will be an achivement for me at this time of year.

I'll be taking the Rose which is my goto choice for early/late season events. I REALLY wanted to take the new Kinesis but it's only done a handful of miles. Better to stick with something tried and tested. I'll have enough to deal with without stopping every 30 mins to make adjustments.

Bike checked. Bags packed. Early start tomorrow. What's amazing is that even after 30+ years of doing events, I still get as nervous as a little kid the night before :)

Bram and arthur666 like this.
  19. dazzyb2k3

Best laid plans and all that....:rolleyes:

Got up at 5am this morning after a crappy nights sleep. Bike and kit bag was all laid out from the night before. Blearily packed the bike into the car. Came back inside, had some breakfast and set off.

Got to the event, unpacked the bike and guess what? NO BAG!! Left all my kit at home. I wouldn't care but it was right across the living room floor so i would have stepped right over it to leave the house lol

After a some choice words and a good 5 mins of headbutting the steering wheel I returned home feeling well and truly deflated (and stupid!) Many years ago i once forgot my shoes but i've never left the whole kaboodle before. What a complete idiot.

Anyhow, there was no time to get back before registration closed so i did 10 laps of the local park as penance. At least the weather was nice and sunny.

My friends had a good time and they kindly sent me pictures of them refuelling in the beer garden after the event! I'm not gonna live this one down for a while.

Rule No. 1 - Don't forget your stuff!!

Bram likes this.
  20. Bram

Bram Senior Member