• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

CX / Gravel Would 29er wheels fit on a road bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I was just thinking, would 29er wheels fit on a road bike? Both are 700c if i am correct?

2. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Sort of - If there is enough tire and brake clearance, yes. But beware the rear axle spacing. My cyclocross bike uses 135mm axle so it will work, but I think 10+ spd road uses 130mm.
    Otherwise, sometimes on a steel frame you can flex the rear enough to make it work.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks @arthur666. I am asking as I have ordered a cyclocross bike today and I am not entirely sure if the wheels will hold my weight (for the time being of course :D) and in case of emergency I wanted to port over my MTB wheels instead.

4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

I would hope any stock wheels would hold just about anyone. Especially on a cyclocross. You're not small, but you're not Andre the Giant. :)

But yes, it can be handy to have a backup set of wheels. I have the stock wheels from my All-City, and I can throw them on my mountain bike if I swap the disc rotors and cassette. Then adjust the brake calipers to line-up better. Turns the Krampus into some sort of weird hybrid with stupid-wide handlebars. :neutral:

What did you get?

Bram likes this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Are you sure? 198cm / 126 kg here :)

arthur666 likes this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am trying to keep it a secret until the package arrives so I can post a picture but I don't think it's hard to guess ;)

Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Congrats Bram! Nothing like the thrill of getting a new bike. Can't wait to see her. :)

arthur666 likes this.
  8. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

@Bram have you ordered that Canyon ?

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I have and it's here already :heart: