• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Winter clothes for cyclists

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

With the summer gone and the temperatures dropping I need a new wardrobe fast :)

What are you guys using during the winter to keep yourself warm? Any specific brands?

2. James

James Active Member

I simply layer - depending on how cold it does get (rarely does it drop below 5C, but when it is cool, it's a cold, brisk north wind), I'll use either a short of long sleeve wicking running shirt and then just a regular jersey. If going short sleeve, it will be arm warmers. Bought a pair on a trip many years ago to France from Decathlon (I think). Some cheap "Go" brand; I have a pair of Pearl Izumis as well but they keep falling down. For the lower body, usually I can get away with just a pair of bib shorts and either knee warmers or arm warmers - both Pearl Izumi. On those colder days I may put on my full bib pants, bought on another trip to France from Decathlon (their own brand).

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I've ordered a Rogelli Pesaro softshell jacket earlier this week and boy did it came right on time as yesterday the temp dropped and I could wear it already. Epic jacket.

Rogelli Pesaro.jpg

5. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I hope that's for mountain biking and not for road riding??

Around here we call people who ride in autumn / winter in black tops as members of this squad

6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Around here we have cycling paths @Jim Layee. Netherlands is a bikers heaven (in a good way)

arthur666 likes this.
  7. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I forgot that and I'm very envious of your countries attitude to cycling . Here in the UK it's sadly a more combative situation .

arthur666 and Bram like this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Riding like that would really get on my nervous.

9. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T6KGB44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently bought this cheap baselayer. It does the job fine, but is cold when first worn. I'm struggling to find a warm garment to put over the top, so i may resort to cycling in a sweater. I have a nice raincoat and waterproofs for when the weather is grim.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ELSL9BK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought those for those chilly mornings, and its like putting your hand inside a puppy. or a rabbit.

@Jim Layee you are right, the average british road user doesn't quite understand the plight of us cyclists, I try to stick to tracks and routes well away from the raging motorists. I've been fortunate to not have any serious confrontation so far, but its only a matter of time. I could understand it if i was one of those mentalists that carve up cars and ride with abandon, but i am a little more conservative and understanding, but I've been tooted at and shouted at no end of times, for frankly petty stuff. Ironicly they are happy to rage and tear off, but actually stopping to converse doesn't seem to be on their agenda. A shame really because at 6ft 3 and 19 stone I am quite the angry conversationlist.

Velo Wringer, Burke Wells and Bram like this.