• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

CX / Gravel Which Cyclocross Tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Jan Larsen, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

It's now time for different tires, but I'm having trouble choosing which one. I know I want a low-profile, slick/semi-slick thread design. And I want sticky rubber and low rolling resistance. My current tires are Schwalbe Super Swan (knobby dirt/mud tire) in 700x35c. I'm looking for the same size tire or slightly bigger, up to 40c.

The tires I have narrowed down that'll suit my area (asphalt, gravel, easy/medium singletracks) the best are listed below.

Continental Cyclocross Speed 35c:
    [​IMG]

Maxxis Re-Fuse 40c:
    [​IMG]

Kenda Flintridge Pro 35c:
    [​IMG]

Clement LAS 35c:
    [​IMG]

These are the 4 choices I've narrowed it down to. Now, does any of you have experience with any of these tires, regardless of sizes?

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Don't want to confuse things even more but thought about the Schwalbe G one?

g-one_allround_0.jpg

I know a couple of people who use them and are very impressed, especially with how well they roll on tarmac. Available in 35 and 38 i think.

3. Jan Larsen

Oh yeah, forgot about those. No issues with durability?

4. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Senior Member

Don't know for sure but i think the great performance is partly down to a softer compound so probably not amazingly durable. I also just remembered they are tubeless - so might not be suitable (depending on your setup).

5. Jan Larsen

I'll be keeping the tubes in. Tubeless is such a hassle and not really needed for me.

6. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Of the tires you chose, the Kenda is what I would pick for your riding. That Maxxis is what I'ld put on my bike, but I don't do much dirt. Those others have those large side knobs that I absolutely hate, especially if you're cornering hard on pavement.

Schwalbe looks good. Can you get one that's not tubeless? I ran a similar Kenda Small Block 8 for a while. Good tire overall but I felt the knobs where just a little too tall for road riding. Schwalbe looks like a lower knob profile, maybe.

Now I'm running Panaracer Paselas (700x32), which I love, but they're not great for dirt. I cut thru on a trail once in a while, but if I was going on an actual dirt ride, I'ld want something else.

7. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

Continental Cyclocross Speed 35c: found these really bad for punctures when used in a city work commute
    They run fast & smooth are ok-ish for trail riding but mud you can forget it .
    I solved the puncture issue buy using self sealing tubes or filling them with sealing liquid adds a small amount of weight but not a big price to pay.

I do not use them anymore having moved onto full cross tires from Schwalbe still have puncture issue with them to but just use the same liquid to fill the tubes.

I have settled with the Schwalbe brand these days their fully puncture proof tires are good but heavy Schwalbe marathon GreenGuard Reflex can also be found in 32 . they are almost as good has the full protection Plus series but much lighter & they roll good work very well in the wet in most conditions cold or warm they are also a lot cheaper , wear rate is about the same . good for trail riding & can handle mud you can even get ones with a deeper tread , they are a good all round none racing tire but still fast.

I have these mounted on my 2nd set of wheels for when I need them.

I can say I have had less issues with this brand than, Continental. & I have spent almost 7 years finding solutions for the destructive conditions found in my new home since 2009 Hamburg Germany . that is down to so many mixed surfaces found here.
    the good cycle paths are limited , but on my sort run to work I come across tarmac . paths . paved paths , packed earth . Cobbles section that are almost as rough Paris-Roubaix in some of the older streets found here.

I have over the year had all sort of items fail , but now have a quite good stable build based on a cross bike. so it is good testing ground for all sorts of items.
    Once on the trails or woodlands found around the city all is good.

The other makes & can not say anything about , I have used Vittoria open pave cg's with this bike to for summer sealed surface riding & for the Cyclassic's Sportive not a the cheapest tire and specially made with Paris-Roubaix in mind , but I wanted to get around the course without any flats & they did the job very well , but they are a racing tire with lot of comfort for a narrow racing profile, the premium price is because they are hand made or were still at the time I picked up mine back in 2013.

Vittoria also have some nice Cross Tires you may want to take a look at though I have not used any of them it would be another option to look into.

Bram likes this.
  8. John.Dylan.Spooner

I run Schwalbe full cross tires for my city riding & Trail & off road . even with the full Knobbly treads I find very little movement or roll on sealed surfaces & seem to be good even in the wet on hard surfaces, with other makes of the same type of tire I have some very testing times in the same condition I have sued both the full cross tread & the more trail aimed Cross tires from Schwalbe . both have now been replaced in the new line up for 2017. by the G series & the new full cross models.

Schwalbe seem to get very good feedback for their rubber compounds , they seem to work very well in all temps & wet weather.
    I have been very happy with them now for a few years.

9. Jan Larsen

Cheers for your comments John, I'll probably go with the G-one, I have Schwalbe Super Swan's on now and they've been trouble free so far. Birthday coming up, so waiting to see what I get :)

10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Will you let us know how the G's work on your bike Jan?

Thanks John for adding to the convo!

11. Jan Larsen

Absolutely, but it'll be a while. It's my birthday on sunday where I may receive them and then I'll have to mount them ☺

12. John.Dylan.Spooner

Looks like Schwalbe have updated their range for this year the G- series are knew to me . that is maybe why I got such a good price on the cross tires I have now . the shops must have been clearing out to re-stock .
    Please keep the thread up dated on how you find those new G-ones another few months & I will will be looking for knew tires.

13. John.Dylan.Spooner

The puncture issues in Hamburg are unique & more limited to riding in the city , I have has less problems once out on the trails & woods & paths that wind their way inside & along the river Elbe. The biggest factor is the grit used for winter is is lethal to tires without puncture protection , the small flint like stone's cut through tires like knifes summer is way better once its all been swept away.

14. John.Dylan.Spooner

top to bottom a few other choices , more options is always better.

WTBExposure TCS

WTBRiddler TCS Light Fast Rolling

ChallengeChicane 33 Cross Open

VittoriaCross XN Pro 31x622

254914_2388881.jpg 255146_2390791 (1).jpg 238448_2240712.jpg 148767_1707562.jpg

15. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Thank you guys for this conversation. It is perfect for me, as I want to change my Continental Ultrasport II with something more suitable for roads quality in my country, witch is ..:bomb:.. really bad. On our only one cycling path here, are barriers to stop vehicle to enter and some are even 2-3 cm (1-1,5 inch) high or deep. I already made a flat tyre on one of this :mad:

16. Jan Larsen

Just to update this; I haven't bought new tires yet, I decided to use the money on shoes and pedals, and possible a new jersey as well, but it will happen in either later this month or in June.

17. John.Dylan.Spooner

If you want bullet proof or almost bullet proof then I would use Schwalbe MARATHON series of tires .
    For the ultimate never worry protection Marathon + 99 % puncture proof short of a bullet hitting them .
    Down side weight all that extra thick anti puncture band & the side wall protection plus them been a none folding is the price you pay for no worry riding.
    How ever there is Marathon green guard drops some of the protection but retains a almost puncture proof rating has the heavier + series & all will last at least three year constant use.
    Just seen they have several new tires for 2017 in the wide range of Marathon series . one that got my attention is the New GT365 four seasons tire with all the Marathon protection, can even been run under pressure and resist damage, best bit is its mixed compound that works in all temperatures & nice tread for rain & snow or mud , gravel.
    Loose's out on rolling resistance but big wide treads never meant speed anyhow.
    I have switched back to my Marathon green guard from two years back still look knew not the best for off road like mud but trail or gravel is ok.
    For road use I would go for the like of the new MARATHON GT less tread , or some thing like the ones i have MARATHON HS 420 or the full + version MARATHON PLUS HS 440.
    But anything from this range will give you worry free cycling now matter what you throw at it .
    Give their site a visit anyhow, I hope this helps you find a tire that works for you.

Flaviu likes this.
  18. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Thank you very much for your response. I saw Marathon and I like it. I don't intend to go off road or snow and mud. Just for gravel. I found here Green Guard at a good price. I will search a little and see what else I can found.

19. John.Dylan.Spooner

They are fine for gravel or trail riding , They are good value for money , you should get a few years out of them before they need replacing. the return of not worrying about flats or damaging the tires soon off sets the higher set up costs.
    The fact that they have now added a better mixed surface version with a all year round cover has been needed for a while now.
    I think you will be very happy with these tires .

Flaviu likes this.
  20. Jan Larsen

A small update to this thread; I've ordered the G-one's today, they should be at my LBS early next week. They'll text me when and then we'll see if they can be installed tubeless on my stock TCX PX-2 rims. If not, its no biggie, but I'd like to try it out as Schwalbe is praising the tire as tubeless.