• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road What kind of music do you listen to while cycling?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I know this kind of a controversial topic as the diehard cyclist don't listen to music while working out, but thankfully I am not hardcore (yet :D) so i can ask it here. What do you listen to while working out.

Feel free to drop soundcloud and youtube links below so we can download your musical selection as well :)

2. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

I need to be focused on traffic in rear occasions when I am forced to drive on public roads. When I am offroad, I need to be focused not to make a stupid move and hurt myself. So, no music at all when I am riding bicycle :).

Metalogic, Andrew and István Milbich like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

One of the things that my country does fabulous is having designated lanes for cyclists so you don't need to worry much about cars and other motorized traffic in most urban areas.

fietspaden.jpg

Andrew likes this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

My S7 Edge currently plays this set of Tiesto while working out.

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

And this epic tune of Sander van Doorn vs Chocolate Puma. Makes you climb really really fast :)

6. Ryann

Ryann Member

Basically, what Matej said. Also, I don't like the feeling I might not hear everything what happens around me. The surprises are very unpleasant.

Matej Lakota likes this.
  7. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Yeah even on my short journeys, I don't listen to anything as I need to concentrate on what's around me.

8. Andrew

Andrew Member

Here in Germany ?? Most of the time i am listening to this while on my bike ----->
    ;);)

9. Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett Member

I understand the motivating effect of music with exercise, I use it on my wind trainer in the winter. But I agree with Matej that I need to focus on what is around me while on the bike. Even on Bike paths, other cyclists (I was once passed by a really fast guy on roller blades) going faster need to be able to let you know they are coming by. I also enjoy hearing the birds in wooded areas and can identify many by their calls, though I'm no expert.

I'm not saying it is wrong, though it is probably safer not to. But I think people with ear buds in are missing an important dimension of the world around them.

jimortality and Matej Lakota like this.
  10. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I used to listen to music all the time when pedalling but now ive moved onto podcasts and other spoken work stuff. I find the narrow audio bandwidth allows me to heat the traffic better.

11. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

I don't want anything over my ears when I'm riding. I need to be able to hear when something's coming up behind me. My ears are my mirrors.

12. lothario

lothario New Member

Never use headphones, however any true cyclist will tell you at 20 MPH you cannot hear cars around you. I find if you do use headphones cut one off the cable and only use 1, that way you can hear what is around..... Personally it does depend on how I feel and I do listen to music from my phone which is attached to my bars. Today it was the main man himself MR BOB the man MARLEY....jah man also save that spliff for when you are back at home....peace out :)

13. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

I would like to listen to music, but I hate hearing one sided which I find very unpleasant if you are listening to music as it cuts out lots of aspects unless it is a basically mono techno stuff. Other than that I have the same issue that I find it very strange when I can't hear what is going on around me. As I am missing the motiviational effect a bit I switched a bit to playing back some music in my mind which might sound very weird, but it helps me to push myself harder and if I push hard enough I have other things to worry about :D
    Maybe I get myself a trainer for the winter then I would be able to listen to music.

14. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

I do listen to music when biking, but it's better not too. I'm fully aware of the safety issue.
    Normally some 'beast mode' music, this one makes me pedal faster instantly:

15. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Member

i always listen to music...probably shoudn't and my sister tells me off but can't bear not having music with me. i listen to hip-hop mainly, electronica and stuff like radiohead, lcd soundsystem, sigur ros

today i was listening to this after getting my from being repaired

also been listening to this today

and this from my favorite album this year

16. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Member

don't get me started with music i will be here all night ..

17. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

I love music (mostly electronic) but never wear headphones/earbuds when cycling, I want all my senses fully aware of what's going on around me for safety's sake, especially when cycling in towns/cities.

Matej Lakota likes this.
  18. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

Cycle lanes exist in the UK, but they're pretty sh*t much of the time and even dangerous in some cases. In most cases it's just a line drawn on the main road...

19. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Come try cycling over here, that must feel like bikers heaven :)

20. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

I have and you're not wrong. I also found Copenhagen fantastic in this respect