• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Training in the gym with a HRM

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by SnyperAL, Sep 18, 2016.

1. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

So I've joined gym so I can work on my "dope pecs" and my "sick swans" I've also bought a garmin fenix 3 to easily track my rides and work outs and whatnot.

Its split my HR into 5 zones, 1 is dead, 2 is easy, 3 is aerobic, 4 is threshold and five is intense. My max HR thus far is 203bpm, I've yet to get my resting, but it'll be around the 60 mark. (in going to HR strap up 5 mornings and check it)

My question is, how often should I be in the red zone, should I be doing intervals at a set cadence but changing the resistance, or should I keep the resistance the same but bump up the cadence for 30 sec intervals?

I was originally, under the guidance of a mate, working at level 5 for a minute, 95rpm then upping to level 30 at 50rpm for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat, however my HR goes into the red and from what I've gleaned thus far, is counter productive in terms of chubb burning but great for enhancing endurance. I'm capable of going 2-3 times a week so maybe a mixture is in order?

Any guidance here would be appreciated,

Cheers, Al

2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Bram likes this.