• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, May 1, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am looking for a simple torque wrench of decent quality. Any ideas?

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Basically any cheap one, except for really heavy torque jobs. The sole reason some of them dont torque right or just breaks is because people forget or ignore the need to de-tension the wrench after use. If you dont do that, the spring gets soft.

arthur666 likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I purchased one a couple of months back. Costed me 70 euro or something and it broke my stem on the first attempt. It was send back to Tacx and I received a refund but nobody explained to me what was wrong with it.

I am now really doubting what to buy :)

4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Flaviu likes this.
  5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

A big +1 from me

I have one of these too. I have a feeling it very fractionally under torques but that's no bad thing. It's sturdy, easy to use and has most of the attachemnts you'll need. I've never felt the need for anything else.

6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

You guys are awesome, thanks. Will have a look if I can order this one in NL.

7. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

I use this make for my Bike
    the smallest one is ideal for those low setting needed for brakes , handle bar stems , seat posts & all the small items.
    for cranks & the likes you need the next model up.
    I like this brand not to over priced but good quality.
    Think mine cost 70 to 80 Euros but I use it all the time on our bikes. 23354.jpg
    MicroClick MC 30. Für 6 - 30 Nm.

Bram likes this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

9. James

James Active Member

Not surprising. FYI - I have never owned a torque wrench and have never had an issue. I go by feel as well as have a good understanding of bolted joints. I am even one of the authors of a government standard on bolted joints where proper torque/preload can be critical. I know the pitfalls and lack of good information when it comes to using a torque wrench on consumer items. There's simply way too little information to prescribe the correct range, and I feel torque callouts are more CYA for the bike/component manufacturers than for good joint integrity.

Bram likes this.
  10. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

No you only get one , this was just a picture I grabbed from their main site for a quick reply.
    There are only a few items on a bike that need very high Torque setting.
    For sure better to consult a good bike site or have good bike maintenance book with the correct setting.
    Some makes like FSA have their torque settings stamped or printed on their parts to avoid damaging costly items.
    my rule is if its marked on the part then I use that setting , if not then I do it the old way by feel.

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  11. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Bram likes this.