• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sport The Disc Brake Debate

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

We have seen the first few crashes of the pro cycling season and as expected it's all the fault of disc brakes.

Majority of racers seem to be against them. Some even want DBs banned for pro cycling.

What is your point of view?

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

The pro peleton are always resistant to change. Getting them to agree to anything is like turning an oil tanker. While I can't argue that having discs is another piece of metal to get you sliced, it's no worse than a chainring, bladed spokes or any other myriad of sharp bits and bobs that stick out of a bike. Quite frankley i think it's more about road race snobbery.

A bigger concern (from my perspective) is when you have half the field on discs and half not. The variation in stopping distance could make the decents quite hairy.

I do think discs are here to stay. We're already at a point where some disc brake bikes are lighter than than the rim equivalents and there are obvious benefits for the classics riders and races in bad conditions. It'll be a while before they become the norm in pro cycling though. That's less about the safety aspect and more about the fact that they're not actually a massive benefit for much of the season when it's dry, sunny and the roads are good.

Flaviu, Bram and arthur666 like this.
  3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

I think discs allow for higher performance wheels, as the rim itself doesn't have to pull double-duty as both the wheel and the brake-surface. You can engineer the rim to be a rim, exclusively. Saving rotating weight is more important than static weight, and the further out from the hub you reduce it, the more performance increase you will see.

The road pros can do what they want. I just like keeping my rims from getting chewed up and having a brake that's easier to adjust and maintain.

Flaviu, Bram and dazzyb2k3 like this.
  4. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Huge benefit for the everyday consumer but barely a consideration for pro teams with sponsors and mechanics.

arthur666 likes this.
  5. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Mountain bikes have been very successfully run disc brakes for years and I see the resistance to road discs as rather misguided. Road racing is a rather conservative bunch so I'm not surprised to see the resistance.
    The former CTC forum is a bastion of resistance to all that is modern. Their helmet section would be hilarious if it was so stupid.

Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

But what did exactly happen during that crash? From still images I saw on the web of the actual crash it's that Sky racer being on the floor on the left side of the road with Kittel (and his disc brake) being on the other side of the pack. How can his DB have cut the other guy's foot is beyond me.

7. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

All the scuttlebutt is saying it wasn't the disc at all and the incident was used to add grist to the anti disc debate. IIRC one of the manufacturers, is introducing a radiused edge to the disc which should finish the 'knife edge' debate. I'd welcome discs in the pro peleton as there's no better way to develop the technology , unless the UCI forms a committee of course.

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Seeing how poor some professionals decent on mountainstages you'd think they are all in favor of better brakes especially in the wet.

9. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

If its such a big problem, make a plastic or carbon disc guard. How hard can it be?

Bram likes this.
  10. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Yes, I saw somewhere on net a picture with BD guard, and looks very good. I will search for it...

11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I fear that now Tom Boonen has retired we will not see a AAA rider with disc brakes this season :)

12. Bram

Bram Senior Member

disc brake cover guard.jpg

I rather brake with old skool non-disc brakes than with that cover :)

dazzyb2k3, Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  13. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Yep, I agree. I really don't like brake disk. I don't know, made the bicycle look like motorbike. But it is a gain in performance. So it is beauty "or" the beast :grinning: