• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Taking a week off

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

For the last couple of months I have been on the bike multiple times a week. This first week of January is pretty hectic with hundreds of things needed to be done so I have stayed off the bike for almost a week now.

Must say I feel that my legs are happy with the rest.

Full speed ahead next week :)

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Enjoy the rest (what's left of it) :)

Often you never know how much you needed the rest until you take it. IMO Knowing when and how much to rest is the single hardest - and most beneficial - thing to learn in cycling.

I make a point of having a couple of periods per year where i don't even think about the bike for days - sometimes weeks. Keeping fresh both mentally and physically is crucial for my enjoyment of the sport. Soon as training or riding starts to feel like a 'chore' then i know it's time to stop and re-charge.

Never feel guilty about taking days off. Most regular cyclists (ie. several days per week) need it much more than they think.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I won't :) Actually quite enjoyed to say that I miss it. Me (!!) missing to work out lol. Miracles happen :)

Time to climb on the mountainbike this week and conquer this nasty winter weather. I am so looking forward to March / April and those awesome spring days with sun :heart:

4. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

We've had some cracking Frosty sunny mornings here, not been on the bike much but put a good few walks in with the boss.

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Sorry for my recent inactivity. I am in the middle of a house renovation that is kind of stressful. Haven't cycled as much as I wanted to either but that is about to change now the show and ice and freezing temperatures have left the country (for now) :)

6. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

They are coming back Bram, sawry

7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

It's probably more: taking a few months off ;(

Broken ankle

8. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Broken ankle? Oh man, so very sorry to hear that. What happened?

9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Tripped and fell from the stairs all the way from top to bottom.

Sucks so much after all the hard work of the last year

10. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. You can't do nothing now, just rest be patient and you will be like new when the weather will be warmer
    Get well soon, Bram

11. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that indeed. That is just not fair. Only thing I know from experience (no broken bones though): it will be an opportunity to look at things from a different perspective. Can sometimes be useful.

I am sure you will recover quickly with the condition you built!
    All the best,
    Don

12. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Well-Known Member

The length some people go to avoid riding in the cold ;)

Just kidding , hope it heals up nice and quicky so you can get out there again soon .

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Update: it's actually a double fracture they found out last week. 3 weeks in and still hardly any improvement. Bored to death sitting on the couch or lying in bed.

Want to ride my bike!!!!!

14. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

Bummer... really feel for you.
    at least you know it will heal and you will be back in the saddle.

couldn't resist maybe cheer you up

Mod-edit: Google and children dont love nude pics. Removed
    -sorry about that. (was a famous picture of Queen's 'Bicycle Race')

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Bram likes this.
  15. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Well-Known Member

^ just what the doctor ordered ^

16. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Yikes! I Just saw this. So sorry to hear that Bram. I wondered why you had gone quiet on Strava. Luckily it's early enough in the season that you should be able to make a full recovery and get some good riding through the summer. Always sucks losing condition through injury but it'll come back quickly and you will rebuild stronger than ever.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

17. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks mate. Yeah I am glad this happened in February and not July or something. Although this season will be pretty much semi-ruined. Semi is better than completely ruined ;)

18. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Hope you're on the mend Bram, right or left ankle accelerator or clutch?

19. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Right one unfortunately :)

20. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Ouch only reading this now. Get well soon @Bram ! Was already wondering why you didn't show up in my Strava list...

Bram likes this.