• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Tacx Magnum

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Flaviu, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

I just saw this in a promotional material with Peter Sagan. Next to the more and more complex sim racing equipment, looks like "sim biking" make big steps to keep up. Of course, with our experience in displays and triple setups and HUD we know the monitor on this trainer is a "joke" :). Maybe people from Tacx could use some sim racing expertise to improve their trainer :cool:
    I read the specification and has a maximum speed of 30 km/h and max angle of 15 degrees.
    This will be enough for me
    upload_2017-9-27_10-56-3.png
    But for Vittorio Brumotti any treadmills can do the job (at 1:35)

Jim Layee and Bram like this.
  2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

I've always struggled to understand why people want to ride a bike indoor, trainers or 'sim-bikes'. The whole point of cycling is getting the exercise while exploring and enjoying the nature. I know the weather can be incliment at times, but still :)

Jim Layee likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am with Jan. I'll try to enjoy real riding as much as possible. However I must admit that during the month of February having an indoor ride would be nice as well temperature wise. But for the other 11 months you will see me on the roads and in the woods as much as I can.

Tacx Flux looks a bit more affordable :)

(PS: wish I had the road bike skills of that guy from the video, a-ma-zing!)

4. John.Dylan.Spooner

John.Dylan.Spooner Active Member

Riding outdoors is always first choice , however Autumn & Winter , are now to full of risks for me anyhow .
    Apart from getting colds , Accidents present the bigger risk , more so in a City, my whole 12 all year round riding attitude flipped a few years back now after have a big crash while riding back from work , a very odd one where with know warning I lost all front grip a fell very heavily , the worst kind were you have no time to react it is so quick.
    Though I was luck not to brake any bone I still lost two weeks off work some thing you can not afford to do when you are in your 50's
    and the fact that I do not race anymore so this is just a hobby now.
    I can see the value in the many modern indoor trainers that are now on the market to keep your self in shape during bad weather periods & during the cold months.
    I hated rollers back in the old days so boring for those hr long winter training sessions.
    But that is all long gone with the modern interactive trainer with all the options to use real world routes & even video play back or even VR apps.
    It wont replace getting out there on the road but it will save you the risks and higher running costs in equipment that winter bikes can have.
    once you get past the higher cost of these sort of trainers.
    I have been looking into getting a Kettler Racer S not cheap by any mark. but it has the advantage off come with all the interactive software can be hooked up to your smart phone , or PC the price is the problem over 2000 Euro for a 2018 model , however you can find the last 2015 models for around 1500 euros
    This is a all in one trainer no need to hook up your road bike so stand alone no need to buy a special rear tire or have to drop in and out all the time.
    its is fully adjustable even has real gear shifters on the tri bars or on the drops if you buy the 2018 version.
    this idea also would work better for both me & my Wife has swapping bikes over all the time with limited space in our apartment & then having to carry them up or down three flights of stairs & then into the basement would soon put me off using something like a Tacx .
    Yes there would be still the fact we would both have to readjust the seating & bar positions between rides but I think that is a minor issue.
    For us this idea would work better , for other the Many Tacx style trainers would work.
    I will still use my normal bike during Winter but only or better weather days or at weekends as we both like to ride along the main bike roots found around were we live.
    But I do not see the point of this Tacx trainer above if you want to go to that level then outdoor riding is the correct place if its just about keeping a good level of fitness during the wet cold and dark months there are far cheaper and just as effective bike trainers.

Bram likes this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I would love a Tacx but I need one that is so silent that my neighbors who live downstairs won't be bother by it :) No idea which version would be suitable.