• “Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!” – Jens Voigt
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Stress fracture in toe

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by arthur666, May 10, 2017.

1. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Well, last month my season was getting off to a great start. Getting plenty of miles in my legs and feeling good. Then, after a mtb session and a long run, I had some pretty bad foot pain. Week later it was still there but not bad, so i did a long gentle road ride, no problem. Then the following week did 2 very short runs, no problem. Ok. Ready to mtn bike again, right? Went for an easy <10 mile ride last Saturday and bam. Terrible pain when I was finished. Pain got worse during the week, so I saw the doctor, got x-rays. Looks like a very slight stress fracture, maybe not even a true fracture. But it hurts like hell. Not much i can do but take it easy. Got some new work shoes with cushion+stiff soles to help it heal, as flexing my foot seems to be the main culprit for agitating it. Oh, and also vitamin D supplements were recommended by the doctor. We will see...

I know rest is the only way to heal, but this is the worst time of year to be off the bikes. :(

Flaviu likes this.
  2. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Thats bad timing indeed , be good and let hit heal properly

arthur666 and Bram like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Join us in the sickbay @arthur666. This has been my cycling life since the end of January. First a double ankle fracture on my right leg and now a surgery on my left foot.

Can imagine you are totally sick of it and hopefully you will recover from it soon. What prediction did the doc gave you? 4 weeks?

Flaviu likes this.
  4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Ok @Bram :) Reading about what you went through, I know it could be a lot worse.

4 weeks minimum. And in 6 weeks, I can try a very short run. In the meantime, I will try some very light pedaling around the neighborhood. Doctor says as long as it doesn't hurt, I can try. He's a cyclist as well, and a sports doctor for a College athletic program, so I'll trust his judgment on that.
    But pushing too hard means a start back at day zero.

Well, at least I have sim driving. But it's my right foot, and driving in hard sole shoes is taking some getting used to. :p

Flaviu and Bram like this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I wouldn't do any running really as that is really some peak pressure on your body.

I hope it heals soon as it sucks being sidelined

arthur666 and Flaviu like this.
  6. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

I very sorry to hear about your healthy problems :broken_heart:. I wish you both a very quick recovery. Maybe, latter after works I will visit you at the sickbay with some flowers and many many candy :).
    And for sim driving any foot is "the wrong foot". But indeed, Bram has a slight advantage here.
    With the increase number of drivers injured, soon we can start a "Sickbay Racing Championship". Entrance will be made ONLY with doctor's recommendation.
    OK, stop joking now. GET WELL SOON GUYS !!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

jimortality and arthur666 like this.
  7. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

From bad to worse. Just from normal walking around, been getting worse. Life won't let me put my feet up for days. But at least this thing takes the pressure off of my fore-foot.
    IMG_20170516_151449.jpg
    Can't even sim driving now. :( Well, guess I could use a gamepad, but probably just mess around with Arma3 and read a few books.

8. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Look good for skiing maybe, just need one on the other foot :p

arthur666 likes this.
  9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh @arthur666 I literally feel you man. That's exactly how my foot looked for the last couple of months. Bah.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

10. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Thanks @Bram , I appreciate it. :)
    Still not feeling much better, so I have put myself on crutches as well, and plan to spend a couple of days at home this week. It's hard to stay off your feet with young kids in the house. If it's not better middle of next week, I'll find another doctor to talk to

I'm so impatient. Wish this had all started in mid December, not when the sun is shining and the trails are perfect.

11. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

For this kind of things you need much much patience. It is hard, but there is no shortcut :(
    I wish you a speedy recovery ... and the power to wait for it :)

arthur666 likes this.