• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Strava

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by norbs, Jul 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. norbs

norbs Member

2. Günthar

Günthar Active Member

Sean_S36, Bram and norbs like this.
  3. norbs

norbs Member

Sean_S36 likes this.
  4. Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett Member

I hadn't heard of Strava before coming to the forum so this is a very pleasant surprise - and further justification for keeping my smart phone. Just recorded my first ride - very cool. I guess it's time to come out of my cave and start paying attention to my stats again. ;-)
    Thanks again for starting this forum.

5. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Same here, I really like it

6. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

I just discovered Strava a couple of months ago and wasn’t even sure my cheap little Samsung Tracfone would work with it. But it did work and I've been hooked ever since.

Being a huge race fan and data geek, I’ve always enjoyed dividing my routes into sectors and using a stopwatch’s lap function to time those sectors which I would later key into an Excel spreadsheet to compare & analyze rides, etc. So imagine my thrill to discover that Strava lets me create segments of those route sectors and it keeps track of all that stuff automatically. And as if that wasn’t enough, I then saw my times compared to other people riding those same routes. Talk about a game changer. I thought I was just trying to casually improve my time climbing my local hill by myself. But what’s this? A dozen other people have climbed that same hill in the past faster than me? Well then, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. So now silly me is killing himself climbing a hill to beat a 3 year old time from somebody he doesn’t even know. Why? Well… I don’t really know. But apparently just because it’s on Strava. Go figure. But I’m having a blast and loving every minute of it.

Side note; When I first started using Strava, I was just carrying my phone in my back jersey pocket. But I noticed I was having occasional loss of GPS signal that messed up my ride data. So I decided to get the phone out of my pocket and onto my stem. I ended up making my own little phone mount out of some really lightweight wood & non-slip rubber lining and zip-tied that to my stem. Phone is then held to that with rubber bands. No more signal loss since then.

dazzyb2k3, Bram and Paul Garrett like this.
  7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Absolutely love Strava as well but only recently I am experiencing a sluggish loading service at certain times.

I don't mind these server hiccups when it's a free product but as a premium backer I expect the service to be up 99,99% of the time, which currently it's not.

8. Michael

Michael Member

I've been using it for a year or so now and I am usually the last man on the leaderboard, I just think its cool that I'm able to get my name on the list.

Petra and Bram like this.
  9. Ryann

Ryann Member

Strava as a community tool is great. Unfortunately as a training/stats tool, not so much. It lacks in many areas and the development is stagnant lately.

For instance, it doesn't provide detailed reports for every sport you are doing. It is too much focused on cycling (taking in consideration where it is coming from, it is understandable - to a degree). I'm cycling over the season, running off-season and hiking in between and I'm not able to get from Strava as simple stat as how many meters I have climbed last month on my hikes - or other metrics.

Also, if you are a premium member, you have Fitness & Freshness module available, which basically tells you (based on a mathematical model) what is your form and how fatigued you are. Unfortunately, it takes in consideration only your cycling activities, so if you are doing multiple sports and you are going to use it for your training, you are generally risking an injury from overtraining. And there is much more you will miss if you want to use it as a serious training tool.

And one last thing, before I finish with my rant. :) The support is a joke.

Sorry for sounding overly negative, I like Strava in general, it makes club/community activities motivating and fun, but after some time, you just realize that's it.

Anyway, congrats and thanks for creating this community forum and the club on the Strava!

Petra and Bram like this.
  10. Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett Member

I can see myself getting way too wrapped up in comparing my stats against others, but I don't plan to take it too seriously. I used to track all that stuff on an excel spreadsheet, but let that go some years ago. Now I just enjoy the ride and listen to my body to tell me how far to go or how hard to push. Still, Strava is so easy to use (I don't have to do anything but tap a screen a few times), it's fun to see how far I've gone, and it is a motivator to see others getting out and riding.

Burke Wells likes this.
  11. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

I like Strava. And I hate Strava too.

Strava is a great tool for recording my ride, showing some stats on distance and speed but I really dislike being last on the list constantly :D Today during my ride Strava told me I was 'pausing' when I was facing heavy duty headwind. Not funny Strava! :p

12. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

@Michael, I'll join you at the bottom of the list :D

13. Paul Garrett

Paul Garrett Member

Too funny! :p Yeah I think that the average speed function is broken - I know I was going faster than that. ;) I don't look at it until the ride is over, though. One reason I stopped tracking my stats was that it was having a negative impact on my enjoyment.

Don't get too focused on your performance relative to others, there will always be someone faster, stronger, better, or whatever. Listen to what your body is telling you and let that be your guide. Unless you're seriously training, you probably don't need the stats that much. But it might be fun to see at year's end how much you've improved. Keep your chin up and keep pedaling. :)

jimortality and Petra like this.
  14. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

I would love Strava as woman. The male to female ratio in the segments here is massive and there are quite some KOMs a pro would have difficulty to beat. As a woman you can quite regularly pick up a top10 here and there at least in my area :D

Petra likes this.
  15. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Seeing this old thread reminds me that i need to work on strava integration on the forums after easter.

dazzyb2k3 and Jan Larsen like this.
  16. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Could that work with Endomondo as well?

17. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

That might finally get me on Strava. I loved Google My Tracks. It's gone now, so I use Google Fit, which is pretty weak.

18. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Strava you can run for free or as a premium member. Free gives you already a lot of cool features. Really love it

dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  19. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

I have the little strava sign next to my name now :)

Bram likes this.