• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Soo Indecision me!

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by SnyperAL, Jul 25, 2016.

1. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Okay, two weeks ago I was after a road bike to bash out some miles on, and see if I enjoyed it. However, I've been running some trails near where I live on my trusty old steed. With some discussions over beer, and the like, I've decided that perhaps a new MTB is in order. Naturally, the path that way isnt any clearer than a road bike, with pitfalls and pro's and cons at every corner, I thought I would open it up in here for opinions and feedback.

So to the dilemma's:

29 or 27.5? I am a big lad, 6ft 2 and on the portly side, I dont think i would have any issues throwing either of these rides around the courses I run (mostly farm tracks, and footpaths around reservoirs and the like, with roads leading to and from those.) Nothing remotely technical, but the farm tracks can turn to a quagmire in the winter.

Gearing 2 or 3 chainrings? I've read up on the relative effects. with 2 you get a little less on the downhills and its a little harder on the ups. with 3 you get more of an overlap of gears, but a friendly granny cog for when your all out of puff and the hills a killer. On the flipside, and being a tubby, I like going downhill, I like sticking it on that big ring and getting some speed up. My pb was 34mph a few years back.

I would be reluctant to buy a new ride, only to find out I cant wind it up to that kind of speed, I am not so bothered about the wheezing uphills, thats just something for me to overcome. Do any of you have a 2 up front, and miss the 3rd?

The reasons for the change of heart and heading into MTB? Where I live, the motorists drive like maniacs, I dont fancy riding at pace around people who dont give you an inch, with an MTB I can stick to the tracks, and keep the traffic to a minimal. Also, Baggier clothing!

Any opinions welcome, Brands to look at, or steer clear of as always would be welcome.

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am on a 29er my self and I am a large dude as well 6ft46. Honestly I am more on the road with my MTB than on the dirt but the 29" holds well on both surfaces. What I love compared to my old 26" is that the bike keeps it's pace once it brought on to speed.

I have two chainrings on the front and went up hills of 18% on my last holiday without issues so I doubt you'll need a third unless you really go vertical :)

SnyperAL likes this.
  3. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

I'm on a 29-er too and I am large, for a girl ;) Like Bram said, once up to speed on a 29-er you just keep rollin'. It keeps its pace very well. And the grip is excellent. You hardly notice going over small rocks or through potholes, it's really steady. You'll feel like a King on those big tyres! The downsides are accelaration and cornering in my opinion. It takes more energy to accelerate the 29-er, it feels 'heavy' And I find cornering with this bike difficult so I wonder if a 29-er is a good choice if you ride technical courses. On dirt roads and farm tracks it will suit you very well!

I have three chainrings and I was on that same hill as Bram, 18% climb...it doesn't make much difference. (He went uphill faster than me but that had more to do with my bad shape :innocent:..or his better shape!)

SnyperAL likes this.
  4. SnyperAL

Thank you both for your replies. I've spent the last 3 days in limbo, and finally plumped for this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...Jakh-ZLhlFsLiC5NqafYMaAuyc8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

fingers crossed eh? My only concern is the 3 rings up front, but if i dont need em all happy days. A dealer (bike) I was talking to suggested that 2x was for more experienced fitter riders and 3x is for the relative newbs, like myself. I quite struggled to find a nice looking 29er with 2x gears within my budget. Hopefully I've picked well!

5. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

A very nice bike :) A granny gear thing is a nice thing to have on those occasions when you need it and it's of no concern when you don't

arthur666 and SnyperAL like this.
  6. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Agree w @Jim Layee about the gearing. My Surly Krampus is a 1x10, which is usually fine... Those times when it's not fine I am cursing for not paying a bit extra for the Krampus Ops, which has a more configurable crankset.
    What was i thinking? That I would always be fresh, well-rested, not hungover when I ride? :)

Bram likes this.
  7. SnyperAL

haha! I will "try" to avoid riding hungover, but i am sure there will be a time. I just like it when your legs are shot, and your facing that one last hill before the pub and just need a gear to relax in, that gets you there...

I am struggling with my order at the moment, All terrain cycles let me down, they suddenly didnt have it in stock, but recommended the cube Acid, but it was in a lighter grey and looked worse in my opinion. So i've tried to order it through Chain Reaction Cycles, and we'll see, so fingers crossed!

arthur666 likes this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

@SnyperAL have you taken a look at Radon Bikes? I have got my MTB from them as well. Online retailer, HORRIBLE customers service (later more) but a great bike. I am sure they are using a Cube frame as well but put all the top range shimano stuff on the bike for less than the prize you showed.

SnyperAL likes this.
  9. SnyperAL

The first order failed because out of stock, so chain reaction cycles are where I went next, I've ordered a cube Acid from them, and apparently it'll be here Monday. Whilst looking I even went to a German distributer but I couldn't import one because of a manufacturer stipulation. This New one is coming from Dublin, quite a trek to get a bike don't ya think?

I've never ordered a bike online so I'm quite sceptical, if you like I can snapshot the unboxing, it'll be difficult to hold back the excitement though!

10. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

My friends and I have ordered many many times from Chainreaction and they've always been top notch. We started to order from them back in the mid 90's via the phone ! Old skool or what lol

SnyperAL likes this.
  11. SnyperAL

That's a great testimonial, a reassurance indeed. I was trying to get one locally, so I could get a free 6 week service to readjust so the cables once they bed in. I'm sure my LBS will be able to accommodate though.