• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Show us your road bike(s)

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

Look what I found! I will be driving a long desired fixie this summer :heart:
    ... or sooner, new parts already ordered. :yum
    P1050709.jpg

Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Lovin' the look of that. Can't wait to see her after the makeover :)

Every time i look at a fixie my knees tremble with fear.

Velo Wringer likes this.
  3. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Well-Known Member

Nice looking frame , what is it ? I've got a single speed road bike project on the to do list, after i finish the hardtail mtb rebuild.

Velo Wringer likes this.
  4. Velo Wringer

It's a Batavus Criterium from the late 80's. With Reynolds 531 tubing :cool:
    It has a few minor dents, but is perfectly straight. Weels badly cracked but I put it together for a careful test ride - my first time ever on a racing bike! Makes my other one feel like a tank ...

Flaviu, arthur666 and Jim Layee like this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Well-Known Member

@Velo Wringer : Very nice! But I hope you're replacing that chainring. Biopace o_O

Velo Wringer likes this.
  6. Velo Wringer

Yep! Won't work on a fixie. On single speed it does though with some slack in the chain. It felt normal during my short test drive.

My MTB from the same era had it too, it was the thing to have back then it seems.

arthur666 likes this.
  7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

lol, i'd completely forgotten about Biopace chainrings. All the rage back in the day.

8. arthur666

Ha! My first racing bike was a used Trek 1200 w/Biopace, but the shop owner (my coach) wouldn't even let me take it on a ride until we replaced those with something round.

Velo Wringer likes this.
  9. Velo Wringer

The result so far :
    fixie.jpg

It's a dream to drive :kissing_heart:
    I went full fixie to see what it is all about, so fixed gear at 46x17, only front brake. Toe clips!
    All very new to me and sometimes very scary.

Nearly got launched at the first traffic 'bump', and going over 40 kmh downhill with your feet strapped in is quite an experience!
    On the other hand the 'connected to the road' feel is awesome and climbing seems easier (?), anyway you have to keep up the pace or you stall. Amazed by the lightness and responsiveness. Did a sprint for a traffic light 50 meters away, surprised myself with the acceleration! Blasting past other cyclists generally at double their speed. Maintaining 30 kmh easily. OK I'll stop now :heart_eyes:

arthur666, Burke Wells and Jim Layee like this.
  10. Jim Layee

I like that a lot .
    Accelerating fixed is lovely , slowing down less so ! lol
    I wouldn't fancy riding fixed on the roads myself but plenty do so why not. I've only ridden fixed on the boards though.

arthur666 and Velo Wringer like this.
  11. arthur666

Ahh! Watch out for those emergency stops! :0
    I used to put many miles on a fixed-gear to work, but also on long road rides. Great for your spin. And yes, it does trick you into feeling like it climbs better. And the good news is that will transfer to your other bike riding once it works out the major kinks in you pedal stroke.

But be warned: I believe that years of trying to stop with just the pedals, (ie abrupt, hard reverse-pedal pressure) did a number on my lower back, and led to a nasty SI joint injury that kept me off bikes for a year, and still gives me problems 8 years on...
    Use that brake, and don't be afraid to put a rear brake on if you're riding anywhere with hills. If a hipster mocks you for running a brake, inform him/her that you actually put miles on the bike, not just to tootle over to the bar and play dress-up bike courier. It happens. ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  12. Velo Wringer

Thanks for your advice, well noted.

I don't really brake hard with the pedals, just slow down. Not planning to skid stop at all! Maybe should practice it some day to be prepared might I need it, or if it just happens in a bad situation.
    For quick stops I have a good front brake, but am not afraid to add the rear brake again haha! Thanks for that priceless piece of wisdom :laughing:

Oh, maybe you know, I was wondering if you could just 'unplug' from the toeclips when going down hills? Maybe common practice but have never heard of it.

Still learning and enjoying immensely.

13. arthur666

Like and just sit on saddle with pedals going on their own? Sounds dangerous as hell. That would scare me pretty good.
    I always ran Shimano SPD mtn clipless on my fixed.

14. Velo Wringer

This is one way to do it...:joy: The transition looks painfulo_O

... I think I'll just brake a little for a downhill. It must be possible though with your knees on the top tube for balance. Will try one day. I think. Maybe.

arthur666 likes this.
  15. Jim Layee

I'm putting gears back on my Kona Munimula and was really missing a single speed. So i built this up;
    [​IMG]
    A Guerciotti Record frameset i had lying around and chucked on some bits n bobs from the spares box, plus new brakes and bars.
    The gearing is provisional, hence too long chain. (low geared as it hilly here)
    Not as pretty as @Velo Wringer 's fixed but it'll do as my around town bike.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    Velo Wringer likes this.
  16. Velo Wringer

I think it's beautiful! Lots of character :cool:

17. Jim Layee

Your build influenced me to fit clips n straps again

Velo Wringer likes this.