• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Saddle Sores

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, May 27, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Free beers for the golden tip :) Gosh more than one year in and still suffering from it :)

2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this qualifies for a free beer, but when I started not so long ago, I asked the local shop what to do about it. They said a high quality pair of bib-shorts should help a lot combined with continued riding to harden up the arse. If it continues, I was advised to look at other saddles or, in extreme cases, a bikefit.

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Got the same advice last year. Bought the most expensive Assos on the market and still sores, chafing and what not :) Did a bikefit as well last year. Great position on the bike but the ass remains an issue.

Spoke to a fellow rider yesterday who advised me to look for SQLab saddle and a cheap Northwave bib. Might be an idea to give that try.

4. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, try carrying an extra 25 kg lol. I don't suffer now but when i had a break then got back on the saddle, the sore was horrendous. I just used vaseline to start the ride and after a while, everything was ok. I use a fat bastard saddle which helps.

5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

I've had periods when i've suffered pretty badly. Here's what works for me (assuming bike fit/saddle issues are not the problem)

1. The big secret is to keep dry and friction free - creams and gels only make things worse for me. I use an anti friction powder like https://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Outdoor shops often sell similar stuff for walkers to put in their socks to stop blisters. This works well too.

Put a generous helping in your shorts before riding. Regular baby powder or talc doesn't work nearly as well but is much better than nothing.

2. If any sores start to develop dab with tea tree oil 2 or 3 times daily. Heals them up pretty well in 1-2 days.

3. Use clean shorts every ride & shower and clean your butt with antibacterial soap ASAP when you get home.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Bram likes this.
  6. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Some things to ponder in no particular order except number one is number one.

1. Is your saddle a little bit too high ? Even a couple of mm to high makes your hips rock and your sits bones move in a circular pattern vastly increasing the friction.. This is a really bad thing for your hips and knees long term too so worth dropping your saddle a couple of mm just to try. Bike fit schmike fit except for serious racers it's often little more then a scam.* **

2.Try an antibacterial and anti fungal sports detergent to wash your shorts as the low temperatures demanded of modern pads make it difficult to keep them totally sanitary.

3a. Is your saddle skinned with leather or synthetic ? Leather is the right stuff.
    3b. BROOKS ! Once you're healed up though.

4. Fresh shorts every ride if you have any soreness and is a good thing to do anyway.

5. I couldn't get on at all with the dry powder stuff and swear by the tourists friend Assos chamios creme for prevention. Tea Tree oil is amazing stuff unless you have an open wound style sore, then seek medical attention not internet attention.

* I can't find the article but on the another forum a rider paid for 6 fancy bike fits in a week and each one was wildly different.

** Background reading http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike Set Up 2017a.pdf The author and man with beard has designed and build a fair number of highly regarded bikes over here.

dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

+1 to that. The only reason i didn't mention it is that you said you had a bike fit. 1-2mm too high is enough to cause sores if you ride a lot.
    Shows how different we all are. :) Just a case of trying everything until something works for you.
    Yeah. I've had a few, and have to admit they were mostly in the same ball park but i've always made minor tweaks so they are not definitive. The last one i had was a Steve Hogg fitting. It was insanely thorough and after an entire day looking at every detail the result was moving one cleat about 1mm. After that i decided I pretty much knew where I needed to be sat on a bike. Bikefits will get you close, but trust your body for those final few tweaks.

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Did a new sitbone measurement today and I am not trying one of many saddles from the LBS. First Specialized feels better already.

dazzyb2k3 likes this.