• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Road bike vs Mountain bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Michael, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Michael

Michael Member

So I have a mountain bike .. a trek X-caliber 9 and a fat bike Framed Alaskan aluminum.
    I've been tossing around the idea of getting a road bike. 80% of my riding is on dirt/paved roads.
    I am perfectly happy cruising around on mt. bike on dirt roads and hitting the trails with my fatty.But I go to bed at night thinking how cool it would be with a road bike hitting the pavement.
    Question is.. how much better/faster/comfortable is it with a road bike on hard pack/pavement vs a mt. bike?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa Member

Well there are a few differences between the two but the biggest difference is weight. A decent road bike is a lot lighter in weight depending on the material the frame is made off. So you can imagine the less weight you have to pull along the faster you go. Another thing to take into account is the road resistance of the tires. MBT's have fat tires and they use a lot less pressure. Road bike tires are inflated to 7 or 8 bar and they are a lot narrower so you have a lot less resistance on the road. Having said that because of these things a road bike is not that comfortable compared to an MTB. The frames are usually a lot stiffer and there is no such thing a s suspension with road race bikes.
    But with a road bike you have the sensation where it almost seems the bike wants to go faster on pavement which is pretty cool.

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Hey Michael. I've been very happy with my cyclocross bike since I don't race, or really care about speed. It still glides along on pavement, and is fairly light. But whenever I'm on a ride I have the option to turn onto a dirt road, or even a trail. And with some smoother tires, it's practically a road bike. I have wide 32c Panaracer Pasela tires that roll very nicely, but give me a comfortable ride with plenty of grip for railing thru turns, and still can handle a light trail. Makes going back to my old racing bike with 23c tires feel like torture. :p
    If you just want to ride on roads there are many other options other than a pure road bike.

4. Michael

Michael Member

My brother has cyclocross bike that I have ridden in short spurts, I think I will borrow it for a day, I don't think he will mind. I'll ride a couple of the same routes I normally take with the fat tire bikes and compare. I'm sure it will be easier than chugging along on the fat tire bikes, maybe I just need to refer to rule# 5 and Harden the ____ up! :)

arthur666 likes this.
  5. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

I put skinny hybrid tyres on my MTB for a season to decrease rolling resistance as most of my riding was track and solid paths. It worked well until the rain came, but I found some cheap tyres off amazon there are quite a few reasons why this isn't a good idea, but it was cheap and worked fine. I put my rugged tyres back on for the winter and stuck with those for now.