• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Recovering from shattered clavicle

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by arthur666, Oct 30, 2017.

1. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Soooooo........
    Back in August I was riding home one night, hit some sand while rounding a turn, went down hard. Got up, noticed my shoulder felt wrong, went to ER. Collar bone was in 7 pieces. After adrenaline wore off, worst pain of my life. Morphine. A week later, I was in surgery getting a plate, 6 screws and stitches to hold it all together.
    Clavicle.jpg

After dealing with a summer-long foot injury, I was finally starting to really ride again. But then I had to go and do this. :(
    Healing as expected, but not cleared to really ride yet. Road riding would be ok, but I'm still healing. Any fall would be potentially very bad. Hopefully by the end of November.
    I did start running again a few weeks ago and am feeling fit despite my 2 months of being a couch slug. Pleased how quickly I was back to my 3 mile runs after 5 months off.

Oh, BTW: Always wear a helmet. Even if you're just goofing around town. I would probably be much worse off if I had been bare-headed. I hit my head HARD. Cracked my Giro.

2. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

... that looked bad...:( hope you are back in the saddle soon.
    Were you going fast? I will take your helmet advice. Doing a fixed 6km daily route, rain or shine, never wearing a helmet because it is a well known short easy ride. I think I was wrong.

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Not too fast, under 20mph. Down a slight hill, turned left was leaning a little and went down. It happened so fast. Luckily a friend was there to call an Uber to get me to ER, and he came back for my bike. Bike is ok. Ripped my $$ Brooks leather bartape, but that's really the worst of it after I straightened the brake hoods. And it was time for a new helmet anyway :p

4. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

So that's about 30 kmh, which is not fast, but balancing on two thin wheels it IS fast. I have done 74 kmh downhill once on an MTB and that felt 'normal' (to speak with Kimi :laughing:).

It is time to reconsider speed and the vulnerability of flesh and bone.
    I like speed - have been an avid motorcyclist - but I will use the brakes more wisely now for sure (thanks Nico:laughing:)

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Pfff @arthur666 hope you will be back on the bike soon!

6. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Only just seen this. That's a PROPER cyclist injury for sure. Some of the most painful falls I've had on a bike were at lowish speeds as you tend to go down in a heap instead of sliding down the road. At least the bike wasn't too badly damaged. Get well soon Arthur!