• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Recommendations for bike mount for Samsung Galaxy S7?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Metalogic, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

Hi - it's looking likely that I'll be replacing my ageing iPhone 5 with a Samsung Galaxy 7 (not Edge) soon, so am now starting to think about a suitable bike mount for it - not necessarily for everyday use, but I use my iPhone 5 extensively when cycling touring, in conjunction with the excellent Navigon mapping software (also available on Android) and a Lifeproof case and bike mount.

The Lifeproof case for iPhone 5 has been pretty good, the phone inside has survived being bounced across the road at speed, for example, though less impressive is that the reason that has happened a few times is that the phone has fallen out of the bike mount whilst riding, on a number of occassions (though it looks like the new Lifeproof bike mount is a different design). I've also read that the Lifeproof case for the S7 has a design fault, with the hinge for the battery door breaking easily (not that a battery door is so essential on the waterproof S7).

Anyway, I'm considering looking at other bike mount options for the Samsung Galaxy S7, does anyone have any recommendations for a case and mount? Are any of those listed here any good?: https://thebikelane.com.au/2016/07/7-best-bike-phone-mounts/

Am currently consdiering either the Tigra Sport case and bike mount, or else the Rokform S7 case with this headset mount: https://www.rokform.com/products/v3-bike-mount although am not so keen on their S7 case, which is hard clear plastic and seems like it get damaged easily, but one options with the Rokform mount would be just to attach their Universal Mount to another good case (any suggestions?). Thanks

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Sadly i can't be much help. My only attempt at holding a phone on a bike was with a cheap and nasty ebay mount. The clamps and pivots were pathetic and the phone flopped all over the place.

I know Quadlock are universally praised by anyone that used one. That rockform headset mount looks great tho....

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Have not tried it myself but I hear good stories about Quadlock too.

4. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

BTW I actually got a Google Pixel phone in the end, rather than a Samsung one. Now I need to find a bike mount/case solution for that...

5. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

Sorry for late bump, but I have a bag for all my stuff thats top tube mounted with integrated phone holder so the phone screen is visible but still packed watertight. Its an alternative to the handle bar options out there and fits all phones up to S7 Edge sizes.

6. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

Thanks, do you have the make/model name?

Ideally, though, I'd prefer something to mount on the bars or headset tube, as I'd have to crane my neck less to view it

7. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

8. Jan Larsen

That looks solid. However, I've always wondered; will phones hold up to bumpy roads/offroad when mounted fixed like that?

9. Jan Larsen

Metalogic likes this.
  10. Jan Larsen

11. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Like Jan, I also use one of this:
    [​IMG]
    But I made the mistake to not check in which part open. Mine opens down, I prefer open up like Zefal.

12. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

Flaviu likes this.
  13. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

Looks nice, and somehow ... organic :). I think I will drop my top tube bag and replace it with a saddle bag and the phone will go in a waterproof pouch in a pocket, something like this
    [​IMG]

Metalogic likes this.
  14. Metalogic

Metalogic Active Member

My solution in the end was to buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt GPS cycle computer to go on the handlebars and my Google Pixel phone will go in my pocket in something like a JerseyBin...

Flaviu likes this.