• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech PowerPod, an alternative power meter

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

We all know the crankbased power meters on the market and I have been looking for one for quite a while but the steep prices are holding me back.

I now have a this innovative new power meter that I borrowed from a company for testing. The PowerPod as it's called is now installed on my bike and I will give a try in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to structure my training and rides a bit now :)

PowerPod.jpg
    No cranks here. DIrectly mounted under my Garmin.

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

I've seen these around for a few months. IIRC they use motion data and a fancy algorithm. I have no idea how good they are so it will be great to hear your thoughts Bram!

The thing with power is that it doesn't need to be accurate to the nth watt. It's more about being consistent so you have a reliable comparison. Looking forward to the results of your tests :)

3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

After the first two days, I can't say I am impressed. Going up hills with 80w and down steep slopes with 280w doesn't make too much sense to me.

I have calibrated the device again on the first 5km of today's ride and still the overall output of my mountainbike ride wasn't right at all imo.

Apart from the changing data what really annoys me already after two days is that I have to unscrew the device from my bike to charge it with a USB cable on my PC or laptop. So every each eight hours it needs charging.

It can be a great technology if they include it in a Garmin/Wahoo/etc but these type of devices should really last for weeks without charging in between.

How often do other power meters need to be charged?

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I don't share most of his conclusions. Also don't like the fact that you can buy with 10% discount on his reviewed items if you know what I mean :)

Maybe when I give this unit more time to test my conclusions would change but honestly I can't deal with demotivating numbers at the moment. Going up a 4% climb with 80w and going down the same hill with 200w doesn't motivate me :)