• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Power meter for Garmin Edge 520

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Next year I'd like to start training with a power meter but I have no clue where to start.

Are all power meters compatible with my Garmin Edge 520 or do I need to look for a specific device?

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Practically every power meter on the market (BT or Ant+) will work with the 520.

I'd highly reccomend looking at Stages - essentially you buy a replacement crankarm with the meter preinstalled. Lightweight, accurate, easy to fit, available wordwide, and pretty much fit and forget. Only single sided but unless you have some particular imbalance to correct that won't be an issue. Used by team Sky. :)

https://stagescycling.com/us/products/

EDIT:If you want something more easily transferable accross bikes then a pedal based system such as the Garmin Vector or Powertap Pedals are worth a look. They can be a little more quirky in operation though.

Other option is a powertap rear hub (needs to be built into a wheel) or a crank based system such as Rotor or Quarq. Once set up, both of these can be fairly bombproof. Most Pedal and crank based meters will have have a double sided option and have the ability to give you crazy complex pedalling analysis.

All the different methods produce almost identical end results so it's more a case of which system suits your needs, how deep you need to go with the metrics and what you want to spend.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

That's perfect!!! I only need it on my road bike where I put the most KM's on.
    Like that even more.

Thanks a bunch @dazzyb2k3

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Holy cow, those aren't exactly cheap are they haha!

The Dura-Ace meter is a lot cheaper than the Ultegra one. Weird.

5. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

That DA is the 7800 so it's from an older groupset. Stages are widely available through stores and internet shops so If you shop around you can find some better deals but yeah, power meters are expensive. Stages are at the cheaper end.

That said, if used properly the price to performance payback makes it the best value upgrade you can buy ;)

Unless you buy a worm drive :p

Bram likes this.
  6. James

James Member

Since you also MTB, are you looking for something that can be shifted across bikes? If so, the pedals are the only way to go. Of course, you'd be on road pedals on the mountain bike. I have the Powertap P1 pedals. Aside from a few Ant+ connection issues that are likely due to someone having a very strong wireless router on a route, they've been rock solid. On this side of the pond you can sometimes find them on sale (I got mine as a Black Friday special in 2015 for 25% off).

I have also had a number of Powertap hubs over the years. They are literally bombproof. The only reason I kept buying them is I have so many bikes. I converted one to a fixed hub for the track bike (third party conversion kit on the very old style PT hub), one with a deep rim, etc. Just picked up a new one over the summer since it was selling for a song - $300 US for the Powertap GS hub direct from the company. It's still on sale for that price, so if you can order direct, there's a VERY cheap path. You do have to build up a wheel around it; the $300 gets you the hub only. I built it up around a DT Swiss 585 rim.

Bram likes this.
  7. James

James Member

FYI - Backcounty.com and Competitive Cyclist have the GS hub at $335 US. You can ship internationally from those places.

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks a lot James, ill keep an eye on that one as well.

9. norbs

norbs Member

Powertap C1 here. Very happy with it and does both legs, unlike Stages. But not cheap.