• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Pictures of your latest mountain bike ride

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Desert.jpg
    Crossing the desert :)

2. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Not really much to see here, but it was one of those frosty chilly sunny mornings, I started with my normal off road route, then ramped up the mileage with a trip to my old hood. 40 miles and some sore legs when i finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Not really any good pictures lately, but I'm just stopping in to say Spring is near, and I am planning to ride more this year than I have in a long time. With this weird early Spring weather, I actually rode 5 times last week. Now that my son has a proper mtn-bike, I can take him on my easy recovery rides and get him into the sport as well. And I've also taken up running, at least twice a week. I plan to get fit, and do some big rides this fall.
    The trails nearby are still very entertaining. Nothing crazy here, but it's always fun to hit dirt mounds and fly off little drops while moving thru the woods at speed. Getting into decent shape just makes the ride more fun.
    20170205_133219.jpg
    Thanks for keeping me motivated, yall. :)

Flaviu, Bram, Jim Layee and 1 other person like this.
  4. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

Running. Seriously? o_O You mean that clumsy way of moving forward :p

Just kidding of course. Respect & success!

Flaviu and arthur666 like this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Ha ha! I think the local deer are thinking that. They don't even seem frightened when I trundle by. They just watch in bewilderment, like "What the f...?" and shake their heads in shame.

Flaviu and Velo Wringer like this.
  6. Velo Wringer

LOL

7. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Spring is here. I feel great. 22 Mile ride, 19 miles was pure singletrack.
    1.jpg

Left from my house, and rode hours of twisty, root and rock singletrack. There are plenty of fun, flowy sections, but all of the rock-picking tight+steep technical stuff makes a 20 mile ride a very decent workout. So many great trails nearby. The North stuff is a fairly unknown trail system. I rarely see anyone out there, even on a perfect day. At least 10 miles of singletrack in there. Carolina Forest is a officially designated mtb trail system, so those trails are very popular, but not too crowded. The West section of Carolina Forest has another 15 miles of trails packed in there, maybe more, but I just passed thru since by that point I was spent.
    2.jpg
    Lots of fun rock features.

lunch.jpg
    Lunch.

3.jpg
    Buckeyes are ready for spring. Big trees are taking their time.

It conceivable that I could put together a 40 mile mtb ride with very little pavement. There are some more trails North of Eubanks, rode those last weekend and they are very tough. Maybe in a month or 2 I'll string everything together for an epic off-road ride.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  8. Velo Wringer

That looks awesome.
    How is the running going? ;):p

arthur666 likes this.
  9. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Thanks!

Running is actually going good. I think it's helped me get into decent shape. On a normal week, I can only manage 2 rides, sometimes 3. But if I supplement with 3 runs, I'm doing well. Usually between 3 and 5 miles each. They say there's not much muscle cross-over between running and riding, but my heart+lungs feel stronger for sure.

10. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

That looks really great. 40 miles of trails is something I can only dream off. The scenery looks similar'ish to what we have here, but you just have far more of it :)

arthur666 likes this.
  11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

@SnyperAL just upload your photos. Linked images always die :)

My last ride went right next to the Dutch Football Association. Applied for the manager position while I was here :)

KNVB.jpg

12. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

I don't take it for granted. When I was a teen, we had to load up our bikes and drive 30 minutes just to find 10 miles of trail, or drive 5 hours to the mountains for anything substantial.
    Chapel Hill NC has a lucky confluence of lots of mountain bikers, lots of public land, and tolerant land managers. >10 years ago, we built some new trails in the East section of Carolina Forest, and not legally. But they became popular and eventually the land managers noticed them, took control, and actually started getting people to maintain and make them better for everyone. It's a pretty good feeling to ride them today and see everyone enjoying them. :)
    I really hope the same thing happens to the North trails near the dump, but we will see.

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Can't tell you how happy I am to be back on the bike. Have made some massive improvements in the last two weeks in my recovery and I am honestly smiling every KM i am pedaling down the roads. Still a long way to go but man it's great to do stuff again if you have been forced on the sideline.

On topic, spotted a great small offroad path yesterday that led me directly to a castle I often pass in the distance and had to take the opportunity to make a photo of it.

Castle.jpg

Today I did a short recovery ride spinning the legs a bit. At least I thought as the heartrate went pretty far up fighting the strong headwinds that appeared riding along this canal. Took a classic detour and went straight over the water via this very old steel railway bridge which is an exciting little route :)

Railway.jpg

14. Jan Larsen

Thanks for sharing Bram, and good to hear your back at it :)

dazzyb2k3 likes this.
  15. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Well-Known Member

Finally the snow has gone away from nearby hills and time to move from traffic roads has come. Matej happy :).

[​IMG]

Bram, Flaviu, Burke Wells and 3 others like this.
  16. Jan Larsen

That paintjob looks similar to mine. Giant as well :heart_eyes:

Matej Lakota likes this.
  17. Flaviu

Flaviu Senior Member

;Hi guys,
    Long time no posting here (you know ... winter, cold, ugly weather), but now the sun is coming back so:
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Bram, arthur666, Burke Wells and 4 others like this.
  18. Matej Lakota

My today s ride wasn t really MTB ride, because after 5 days of rain everything outside asphalt roads is (too) wet and muddy, but I crossed this dam:

[​IMG]

... which is also this dam :D

Flaviu, arthur666 and Velo Wringer like this.
  19. Matej Lakota

20. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Nice scenery. I would love to ride in the mountains again.

Matej Lakota likes this.