• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

MTB Pictures of your latest mountain bike ride

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Here you can post your latest MTB ride pictures.

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Rivier de Lek I.jpg Rivier de Lek II.jpg

Been riding alongside a large Dutch river (The Lek) today. Severe headwinds at first but massive tailwind on the halfway point. Solid ride.

Flaviu and Burke Wells like this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Did a great Weekend Ride with @Petra this Saturday. Absolutely stunning weather, beautiful forests, good (unhealty!) food and great company.

Mountainbiking is awesome when the sun shines :yum

Holterberg 01.jpg Holterberg 02.jpg Holterberg 03.jpg Holterberg 04.jpg

arthur666, Petra, Flaviu and 4 others like this.
  4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I've been discovering a lot of cool single tracks and other nice off road routes. One brought me to a now defunct airbase "Soesterberg" that still has a lot of traces of the Cold War. Pretty awesome to ride in between huge bunkers and old jets.

Zeisterbossen 01.jpg Zeisterbossen 02.jpg Zeisterbossen 03.jpg Zeisterbossen 04.jpg

5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Wow! Is that as close as you can get to that Dagger? I'ld love to see one of those old beasts close up. Amazing, it's not much smaller than that B-17(?).

I really hope to get out on the trails this weekend. Sick last weekend, in NY before that (at least I got to walk some 20 miles in 3 days).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Bram likes this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I think you can get guided tours nowadays as the airstrip is more or less a museum.

No sure if they allow dirty mtb freaks in lycra

arthur666 and Burke Wells like this.
  7. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Front.jpg Ruiterberg.jpg Stairs.jpg Tree.jpg

8. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Well-Known Member

I like the stairs Bramo_O

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Burke Wells and arthur666 like this.
  9. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

N1.jpg
    Rain a-coming! Lots of it. Hurricane. I figured I might not get to ride for a while, so I grabbed the helmet mount for my light and set out on my local trails at about 8:30 last night before the weather set in. Had a great time. Felt really good. Even hit the most difficult obstacle out there, an 8 foot, 60deg. embankment that needs some speed to get up. Figured I'ld be walking it in the dark, but was moving fast when I came up on it and just did it.

Only got spooked once. Someone had left a red reflector in a tree. It's weird to be out in the woods alone and suddenly catch sight of something bright glowing red. o_O
    N3.jpg
    That rocky hill with the scraggly trees looks creepy on the sunniest day, but at night it's extra special.

Maybe night riders should avoid watching Stranger Things. :p

10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Whahaha :joy: Indeed

arthur666 likes this.
  11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

In de tuin van Beatrix.jpg Broodje Gezond.jpg Alumium Ros.jpg

12. Petra

Petra Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Radio Kootwijk #filter

13. Bram

Bram Senior Member

gravel.jpg

#moregravel

arthur666 and Burke Wells like this.
  14. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

[​IMG]

Retro lighting test ride , moments later it started to rain . Some old Lumicycle units from wayback , 3x halogen and 1 early LED, high end stuff back in the day but can only be described as adequate compared to modern units

15. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Today I've been MTBing here chasetrails.co.uk and rode Follow the dog, no photo's as I was too busy enjoying myself =D

arthur666 and Velo Wringer like this.
  16. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Got in a couple of good rides this weekend. Took family on a little cycling vacation in Virginia mountains. Rode the Virginia Creeper Trail, a 30 mile rail-to-trail. Mostly fine gravel and dirt, it gently climbs from the Holston River valley up to White Top mountain. Very popular destination for inexperienced riders to get a taste of cycling in the mountains. There are lots of shuttle services that will take you to the top and let you ride down, with minimal pedaling. : unamused:
    First day the whole family headed out for a little 22+ mile ride. Longest ride my son has been on yet. And my girl was happy to ride in her trailer, giving me an extra workout. :)
    First part of the trail is completely flat and not very busy. Perfect for a leisurely ride through the surrounding farmland. After you pass through the town of Damascus, it starts to head uphill, and you begin to see lots of people on the way down from the top, usually large groups of inexperienced riders on rented comfort bikes. It can be a little scary if they are not paying attention. Beautiful part of the trail, but not my idea of a fun ride. We found a quiet spot for a picnic, and headed back to the farm.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.jpg

Second day, I woke up early and hit the trail alone, before the sunrise and the hoards of comfort bikes. :) It was nice and chilly when I left, so I made the most of my favorite wool jersey.
    Had a lovely ride most of the top, Did not see another cyclist for miles at a time. Lots of cool (literally) Rhododendron tunnels and a near-pristine mountain stream that runs along the trail through the forest. Lots of waterfalls and rock formations, old train trestles converted into bike bridges. Once in a while the trail opens up into a scenic mountain valley, and the leaves were starting to change at higher elevations. Getting close to the top, started to see the the first of the "down-hillers". It was a lot easier to navigate the crowds without a child in tow, and trying to keep another one safe on his own bike. At the top, took a quick break and started back down. I made a point to coast more than usual so as not to catch up to large groups. Usually easy enough to get around them if you're patient for a safe spot and let them know you're passing. Still it was a beautiful descent into town. Ended up with 50 miles that day, not bad for dirt and gravel.

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
    My trusty Surly LHT was the perfect companion for this trip. I know that's a lot of bags for a little 50 mile ride. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  17. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Member

first proper ride out on the new bike around Scarborough 14572844_10154613223900908_8543680739415544811_n.jpg 14720423_10154613224065908_5631569758863131507_n.jpg

18. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Leaves are coming down, sometimes it's hard to see the trail. :)
    20161020_174415.jpg

Nice evening ride, it was getting dark, but I got out of the woods just before I needed a light. Fun little ~5 mile loop I can ride to from my house. Lots of fun gully runs, rollers, rockpiles, and some creek crossings...
    20161020_174844.jpg
    but riding narrow boards always makes me nervous. This one is about 1/2 inch wider than my tire.
    EDIT: actually 1 inch wider, my tire is 3", and that there board is a good ol' 2"x4" . Ok, 1/2 inch wider on each side. I'm half right. :p

20161020_175259.jpg
    This one is better. Wide, and someone has put metal mesh on it for extra grip.

20161020_181628(0).jpg 20161020_182008.jpg
    Sun is going down. Gotta keep moving. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  19. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Went to Coed y Brenin http://www.beicsbrenin.co.uk/ trail centre yesterday and totally failed to take a single photo.. again.

but heres a taste of what to expect
    not my vid

arthur666 likes this.
  20. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Wow that looks like too much fun. I know what you mean. On the really fun trail sections, it's not so easy to stop and take out your camera. ;)
    That is absolutely my favorite type of trail, running thru coves on the ridge side, just enough downhill to keep a nice flow. Really reminds me of a place in the mountains here that I really love, Tsali in Nantahala Forrest. That video makes me miss it so much. Haven't been in years, but I am planning a trip for next year. There are places closer to me that have sections of trail like that, but Tsali has many miles of it.

Jim Layee likes this.