• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Tech Pedal and shoe upgrade time.

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by arthur666, May 6, 2017.

1. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

The classic Paramount gets very little love these days.
    Pmt.jpg
    It sits around looking pretty most of the time. The old racing position doesn't help, but a lot of it has to do with the pedals. I have wear these ancient Nike racing shoes and clunky old Look cleats. I ride my Cyclocross as a road bike mostly, and love my Shimano XTR pedals and Specialized mountain bike shoes. It's a plenty stiff platform for general road riding, and I like being able to walk easily. So, I'm thinking of replacing the Looks with these Shimano A600:
    [​IMG]
    They're not classic, but are nice and clean looking at least, and should give decent cornering clearance if I should decide to polish up my crit racing cornering skills from my youth. :)

And shoes.
    My Specialized carbon soled mtb shoes are literally falling apart, and a recent foot injury has helped me learn that I've been wearing a size too small. So I went ahead and bought these Specialized Sports:
    [​IMG]
    They are cheaper, no carbon, but I'm not a fan of all the ratcheting mechanisms on nicer shoes, for mountain biking at least.

For a dedicated road shoe, I might eventually get a pair of these:
    [​IMG]
    Specialized Recons. I love the classic minimal look and laces. And they would be at home on a Cyclocross bike as well.
    Specialized brand seems to fit my feet well. I have narrow feet but long toes, so their wider toe box feels good compared to other shoes I tried on. I can't even stand my old Nikes anymore.

Flaviu likes this.
  2. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Well-Known Member

I have the Specialized Sports as well because they were the only ones that fit my wide foot comfortably. Suits my need just fine.

3. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

Did you get the "wide" version, or normal?

EDIT: Nevermind, Sport doesn't come in extra wide version. The Recon and other higher-end shoes do though. I bet normal will be fine for me.

4. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am looking for new shoes as well. My first pair were these from SIDI but god I hate the system to properly close your shoes. I need a total different system with wires or something as this one is turning me crazy :)

sidi.jpg
    As I have no ambitions to win the Tour de France in the future I can imagine I go for something like a MTB shoe as well or the road shoe as @arthur666 posted. Love that classic look <3

arthur666 likes this.
  5. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

They're a little larger than I thought, a little grayer (silver would have been better), and I had to Dremel some of the rubber lugs down a hair around the cleat recess on my new shoes to get them to work... but otherwise ok. They are Shimano Ultegra quality, so everything is slick and smooth.
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

Too bad i can't take them on a real ride yet. Maybe in a few weeks.

Flaviu likes this.