• “It never gets easier, you just go faster.” Greg LeMond
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Out of Action :-(

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by jimortality, Sep 4, 2016.

1. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

I'm due at the Hospital on Friday and may have to have a Heart procedure :-( I could be out of cycling for a few weeks. I'm gutted and glad If I have to have it done as I'm just starting to feel the benefits of my daily commute having been off work for the first half of the year. I'm also glad if they do the procedure as it could save my life in future and I think it will mean I can possibly cycle further without worrying as I do now. I'll keep you updated and will keep checking Strava to make sure you're all hitting the roads lol.

2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh damn Jim. Take care buddy and our thoughts are with you.

Please keep us updated how it's going.

Hope to see you healthy and on the bike again soon!

3. jimortality

Thanks Bram, I'm more concerned about my sim racing lol. Might have to play some pes with a pad lol

4. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Ditto to Bram's words. I sure hope all goes well on Friday and do keep us updated, Jim.

Couldn't help but to chuckle as that totally sounds like something I would say, too. "Wait a minute, doc... I know I can't ride for a while but this won't affect my sim-racing, right? RIGHT??"

Flaviu and jimortality like this.
  5. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Well-Known Member

I hope it all goes to plan you're back on the pedals very soon

jimortality likes this.
  6. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Jim. I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you friday.
    I hope you make a swift and speedy recovery.
    And first to ... wheel and than on ... wheels

jimortality likes this.
  7. jimortality

So, update went for the test today and I have got to have the procedure but they don't do it on the same day. It will probably be November so I can still cycle from Monday and carry on working. November will be different. Possibly off work for 2-3 weeks and same with the cycling.

arthur666 and Bram like this.
  8. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

Well, this is two of us. I don't want to steal your thread, but I think it is for all who is "out of game" for a while ;)
    My knee is injured and I must do some investigation to find exactly what it is. So after two weeks I will go to a NMR. Until now I suspect a ligament rupture. So maybe surgical intervention and few months out of bike:broken_heart:.
    Update will be posted and Strava will be watched :)

jimortality likes this.
  9. jimortality

I had a letter yesterday requesting me to go into hospital this coming Monday 17th. I wasn't expecting it till next month so maybe they had a cancellation. Needless to say, I won't be cycling for a few weeks (Not sure how long) but I will be back! Keep up the good work and enjoy your cycling. Cheers, Jim

10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Best of luck Jim. Hope everything works out great for you!!!

jimortality likes this.
  11. Jim Layee

Good luck Jim

jimortality and Bram like this.
  12. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Cheers Jim, here's hoping everything goes perfectly and you're back on the bike real soon. Keep us posted.

jimortality and Bram like this.
  13. Flaviu

Flaviu Well-Known Member

Good luck Jim.

14. Bram

Bram Senior Member

15. jimortality

Hi, yeah all went well thanks. Sorry for the delay in replying but when I'm not cycling I didn't think about reading on here. Will still be out of action for another couple of weeks but I've started back at work today. Still a bit sore but all ok thanks again.

16. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Oh glad you are alright. Have a good recovery mate!

jimortality likes this.
  17. jimortality

So, 6 weeks since my op and I was nearly gonna start cycling into work this evening but bottled it last minute. I'm a bit nervous as I've not cycled with my device fitted yet. It's only 3 miles each way which this week would have been 30 miles/50km in total for the week. I'll see what tomorrow night brings. Anyone else started cycling after an op?

18. Jim Layee

I'd err on the side of caution and possibly go for a short leisure ride so there is no time pressure?

jimortality likes this.
  19. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Safety first :sun:

jimortality likes this.
  20. James

James Member

"Anyone else started cycling after an op?"

Never had a heart procedure, but I did have hip surgery - broken from a crash. Couldn't wait to get back on the bike, and I stayed in shape by using an indoor trainer. When the doc said I could go outside, I was cautious. Good luck with your recovery. FYI, my mother had a pacemaker installed a few years ago, and for her it was an inconvenience more than anything. She never exercised/exercises, yet had a HR in the 50s. Pace maker makes it faster and also causes her to get winded more easily.

jimortality likes this.