• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Other Off-Season Running / Skiing / Other activities

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by ArkHiver, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ArkHiver

ArkHiver Member

Hi!

I don't like riding my bike in the dark, because I don't trust motorists to not hit me, even when I ride with a light. This leaves me with 2 options: Ride indoors on a trainer / stationary bike, or do something else.
    Last year I trained indoors on a spinning bike at the gym, and I hated every second of it. The experience lacked everything that made riding a bike so great: The wind, sensation of speed, feedback from the ground you're traveling over, etc..
    The only thing that remained was the agony and a lot of sweat forming a puddle under the bike :)

So this year, I want to do things a bit different: I'm going back to running.
    I have quite a history with the sport. Starting in 2010, and finishing the half marathon in a not-that-bad 1:22hrs in 2012. I've attempted the full marathon in Fall 2012, but ultimately had to drop out due to the flu. (Endurance athletes are as stubborn as they come. But seriously, starting a race when you're sick is a recipe for a grueling day and a lot of pain & anguish)
    In late 2013, a knee injury during marathon preparation had me stop running altogether. In mid 2014 my orthopedist told me that I should stick to swimming or biking, since it would be easier on my kne, and so I started riding. (And I actually liked it so much, I stuck with it :))

So, today I did my first run in a long time! (shameless Strava plug :p )
    I did 7.2km in 40mins at 5:30min/km pace. In 2012 I'd have said it was a slow recovery run, something you'd do the day after a long 35km run in marathon training.
    Today I'd say, it was f*cking exhausting! I feel properly beaten up right now and I don't look forward to running again two days from now.

But I'm on a mission now: 20km in 100 minutes (at 5min/km pace) before the end of march.

Any of you guys doing something other than riding during the off-season? Maybe skiing or something completely different?
    (And sorry for boring you to death with the story of my life :p)

Burke Wells and Bram like this.
  2. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Well done @ArkHiver.

I am not the running type of guy, so ill stick to my outdoor bike during the winter. But after my crash of last week I think Ill mostly stick to offroad MTB rides during the winter months.

Bring on spring ;)

SnyperAL likes this.
  3. James

James Active Member

Unfortunately my back no longer can support running. A shame as I enjoyed it and it's really the only decent time of year to run. No skiing around here, though on nice days I'm sure some wouldn't rule out water skiing :). For me, it's ride, ride, ride. Fortunately I can get in 60 to 90 minutes every night in the winter before the sun goes down - great time of year for high intensity intervals.

4. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Me and my mentals are planning an off road track based mtb ride , my usual route just in darkness, should be good fun. I've also bought some winter gear to keep my extremities toasty. Struggling to find clothes to fit my fat ass though

5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Rogelli :)

6. SnyperAL

Excellent! ty

7. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

I tend to do very little during the winter. Maybe the odd turbo session or cafe run. I've always found swimming a very good way of keeping fitness during those periods when I can't ride.

Having a few weeks/months completely off the bike during the off season really helps rekindle my thirst. That first ride after a break makes me fall in love with the sport all over again.

8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

I am planning to sign up for the gym to work a little on the muscles this winter :)

9. SnyperAL

I like the gym, good for working on those other muscle groups. It's a strange environment to cycle train in though, kind of clinical / scientific not as organic as being outside with its variables.

10. Brun

Brun Member

I really miss running. Actually got quite good at it (sub-20 5k and <100min 1/2 marathon*) but got diagnosed with wear and tear arthritis in my right foot just before my 40th birthday. Keep thinking I could get away with a bit of jogging, but on the other hand it's probably not worth the risk. Never got round to a full marathon which I will always regret, reckon 3:30 would've been doable if I was on the ball.

*this included a 20k ride across London to the start and the same distance back after pub lunch. Good day out :)

Jim Layee, Burke Wells and SnyperAL like this.