• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Mounting an action camera to handlebar

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

A while back I bought a small action camera (at the Aldi) and I still haven't used it on my bike. On the web I see pretty sweet devices to mount the cam to the handlebar but there are so many to choose from.

What kind of affordable device would you advice?

2. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Ram mounts are good, but pricy.

Velcro / tape?

3. Morten Wernersen

Morten Wernersen Member

THE SMALL TEXT SAYS YOU'VE BOUGHT IT IN ALDI!!! :p

I've thought about putting camera on my bike too, could be fun to rewatch your ride :)

Bram likes this.
  4. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

I've thought about doing this in the past but have not yet. My plan was to rig up a solid way to mount my phone in an upright position on the stem to record video while riding. My biggest concern is that I'd kill myself whilst trying to impress myself. :D

5. jimortality

jimortality Well-Known Member

I quite fancy a go pro, have you seen them? A bit pricey though.

6. PicoBp

PicoBp Member

GoPro is way overpriced, if you account its limitations. But this one got my interest. :)

7. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

I looked at that as well as I have a small cheap action camera. The supplied handlebar mount does not fit. I could use a the mount that would be glued to the stem. It has an adapter so it is only like 5mm thick, but it will be there forever. The nicest solution I found is a Garmin aero mount with a gopro/action cam adapter on the lower part. It doesn't add anything to the bike and basically unnoticeable with the camera off:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-cycling-combo-mount-for-edge-virb/

There is also a DIY option, but not sure if you want to try that.

Gavin and Bram like this.
  8. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks all. @Frederic Schornstein that would be a solution for me. Place it directly under the garmin. Wasn't aware of such a device. Bookmarked :)

Frederic Schornstein likes this.
  9. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Yes :) And it's a Rollei cam that actually produces a very good quality image :)

I love the Aldi

10. Bram

Bram Senior Member

11. Bram

Bram Senior Member

BAM! Here it is

20160717_151718.jpg 20160717_151725.jpg

jimortality and SnyperAL like this.
  12. Frederic Schornstein

Looks good. Let's see some footage :D

SnyperAL likes this.
  13. Gavin

Gavin Member

@Bram did you follow same directions from video above? Are you happy it's secured well?

14. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Nope I bought the official mount from Garmin. Not really the do it yourself guy :)

Gavin and Frederic Schornstein like this.
  15. Frederic Schornstein

Would be the same for me the prospect of ruining a 30€ Garmin mount and maybe crushing a 200€ action cam would make me go the extra 40€ route for sure :D

Gavin likes this.
  16. Burke Wells

Burke Wells Well-Known Member

Here's what you get if you combine a cheap phone with a little wood and some rubber bands. :blush:
    01 Parts.jpg 02 Assembled.jpg 03 Right angle view.JPG 04 Seeing what the phone sees_.JPG

Video is REALLY low-res (352x288 CIF) so the more you enlarge it, the worse it looks. Certainly far from Go-Pro quality and would be much better with a proper quality phone. But it was fun to do, cost me nothing and I enjoyed being able to mount it in such a way that I could capture current speed.

Just a short clip from last night's ride. Road surface really makes a difference in vibration blur. First 30 seconds are on smoother pavement, then the road gets rougher. Fun downhill around the 2:50 mark. Speed shown is MPH, not KPH...

Velo Wringer, Gavin and Wayne Morgan like this.
  17. Gavin

Gavin Member

10/10 for effort Burke :)

Bram likes this.