• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Inner Tube same for road and mountain bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Guys, I ran into my first flat tyre yesterday on my road bike (rear) and luckily I had a spare one with me (and a pump and CO2 :D).

As I am also riding quite a lot on my mountain bike I was wondering: Do both type of bikes have the same inner tube?

2. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa Member

It depends on the height of the rim and on the width of the outer tyre. So I think not... On my bike I can't use standard 28 inch innertubes because of the height of the rim. Needs a longer valve shaft. You need to be careful though that you use the correct innertubes. When you use a tube that is too wide for example the tube can double up on itself causing a 'mouse' in your tyre. You will basicly go up and down when riding. Not too comfortable...

Bram likes this.
  3. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thx Marcel.

What makes it even more complex. I am using a 29er mtb.

4. Piotr Matuszczak

Piotr Matuszczak New Member

29ers and road bikes (700c) have wheels with the same diameter. The only question left is the width of the tire. Most road bikes have tires 1 or 1.2 inches wide. Mountain bikes have tires which are wider, thus need bigger tubes.
    If You want more help You'll have to write down the tire sizes from both bikes and post them here :)

Andrew and Bram like this.
  5. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks so much @Piotr Matuszczak and @Marcel vd Aa i'll look up the current specs of both tyres.

Road: 25-622 (28x1.00 700x250)
    MTB: 57-622 (29x2.25)

Andrew likes this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Ordered new Schwalbe inner tubes so I have a few spare ones once I go flat on my MTB :)