• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road How to set up Garmin for training schedules?

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

The last few weeks I have been just doing rides to build up some form of base stamina. After purchasing the Garmin 520 I am now interested to setup training schedules via the device.

Do any of you have experience setting up interval training via your garmin?

2. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

Yep, I do it in Garmin connect. Because there you can use loops and nested loops, so it is very easy to define sessions. Once they are setup you can sync them with Garmin express. I did setup some, but I never really use it so far as we have some great climbs in the area which make sure I work hard enough :D

Bram and Andrew like this.
  3. Ryann

Ryann Member

I might be wrong, since I haven't used it for a while, but Garmin Connect web site offers various training plans, which you can choose from based on your abilities and goals. Once you select a plan, it will be added to your calendar and uploaded to your device (if supported). The transfer is done via Garmin Express desktop client or the web site alone (if they didn't discontinue it).

And of course, if you are willing so, you can create your plan manually at the site and upload it the same way.

Bram likes this.
  4. Frederic Schornstein

Frederic Schornstein Active Member

Didn't try intervals for some time, but I did something I setup in garmin connect before. It is very nice to work with the loops (image below). The training is basically
    3min Zone 4
    1min Zone 5
    3min Zone 4
    1 min Zone 5
    5 min rest in Zone 2

Repeating that and adding a 8min warm-up phase makes a good hard 1 hour work out. You first have to learn a bit how to stay in the zones and not exceed Zone 4 when you come from Zone 2 and not slow to much when going form Zone 5 to Zone 4. In the future I will probably reduce the rest time to make it harder. But after the workout I decided to go after one TT segment and stayed in Zone 4 for most of the way home.
    The good thing is that the Garmin sets a lap marker after every step, so you can have a look at each step later. Today I struggled with the path being quite busy, so I had to extend e.g. some Zone 5 efforts by half a minute.
    Here the Strava activity and the link below (work out finished when the last long lap starts):
    https://www.strava.com/activities/636064805

[​IMG]

Wayne Morgan likes this.