• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Gravel Gravel / Adventure Bike for Tall Riders (63cm or 64cm)

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Bram, Dec 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Currently I am seriously looking for an extra bike which should fit in right in between my road and mountainbike.

There is a whole scale of awesome bikes in this segment GT Grade, Niner RLT, Kona, etc etc but none seem to have a frame for my size (198cm) as I can't find a frame size over 62cm or with stack or reach values that fit. Roughtly around 403 to 417mm (reach) and 640 to 650mm (stack).

So far the current bike would fit me
    Anybody has another fitting suggestion?

2. dazzyb2k3

dazzyb2k3 Well-Known Member

Yikes Bram! Your'e off the chart lol

I'm towards the other end of the spectrum so i can't be much help. I know some manufacturers do a 64 but i suspect a better bet would be a 63 with spacers and a longer stem. I think getting an exact match out of the box will be a tall order.

As for the tyres, I think you'll be hard pushed to find any gravel/CX bike that will take wider than a 35. If I was in a situation that requires anything bigger i'd be getting out the MTB lol

Might be worth taking a look at ROSE (or give them a call). They will let you customize components before purchase. They really know their bikes and are very helpful.

Will keep my eyes peeled!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

Have considered the Surley Cross Check or Straggler ? For gravel road, bike packing and all rounder etc I'd chose a steel framed bike every time. Going by your previous likes i presume you like a more modern look but Surly have been doing the big tyre / road layout mix well before the hype train started. Both are available as framesets so you can spec for your altitude and build.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler/geometry
    [​IMG]
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/geometry
    [​IMG]

Bram and arthur666 like this.
  4. arthur666

arthur666 Senior Member

That Celeste green w/blacked-out components looks really nice.
    The Crosscheck is great. They've been around forever, great cost/quality ratio, at least here in the States. I know several folks who ride them.
    I love my Surly LHT. Nothing fancy, but a good solid build that would have been fine for a transcontinental ride straight out of the box.

5. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

I got very close to buying an LHT a few years back but got offered a NOS George Longstaff frameset so i had that instead. Then my mate very nearly bought a 26" wheel LHT frameset but got offered a George Longstaff rough stuff tourer prototype at a lovely price

arthur666 likes this.
  6. Bram

Bram Senior Member

Thanks Jim, yes I have considered so many bikes in the last months and I keep coming back to the Canyon Inflite every time. Since Canyon has their inventory on sale during the xmas I fear I am going for it once the Inflite is on offer.

Yes, its not a 100% gravel bike but it will do for me.

But the surly, together with a few others, looks stunning as well <3

All those choices haha