• “I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days” – Unknown
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Road Graphene

Discussion in 'Cycling Department Forum' started by Günthar, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Günthar

Günthar Active Member

The potential of the material is huge for bicycle manufacturing. Laying claim to being the world’s strongest material, the one atom thick material offer 200 times the strength of steel, yet six times the flexibility, making it ideal for vibration dampening and comfort in carbon frames.

With the bike industry taking great interest in the what is described as a wonder material, UK firm Dassi’s featherweight 750 gram frame uses just 1% throughout the six layers of carbon. What’s more, at a presentation of the new frame, the firm said in future it expects to see sub 400 gram frames in the not too distant future and perhaps lighter in the long term.

SnyperAL and Marcel vd Aa like this.
  2. Ricoow

Ricoow Active Member

Is the difference between a lighter bike and mine(approx 9kg) really that notable for a rookie like me?

3. SnyperAL

SnyperAL Well-Known Member

Probably not, but at the elite level and the money involved every kilo is huge.

Ricoow likes this.
  4. Jim Layee

Jim Layee Senior Member

At the elite level of road cycling there is presntly a minimum 6.8kg all in weight for a bike so a drop in frame weight wont make any difference. Lighter rims will make a difference though

Günthar and Ricoow like this.
  5. Günthar

Günthar Active Member

Rims, tyres and tubes are the top upgrade to see increased performance solely due to hardware at any level of rider ability/fitness!